Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my father-in-law

ModKonnie

• Members

I lost my father-in-law on Sunday. We had a very private ceremony yesterday. Here's my question for everyone--when your in-laws passed, did your work treat their passing as that of an actual parent? Were you given the same time off for in-laws as you would for your parents?

ModKonnie

• Members

ModKonnie, sorry for the loss of your father in law.  to answer you question my job did allow bereavement days for the passing of my father in law.  Bob and I had a very close relationship, I miss him every single day.   its been a year and a few months, I think of him and miss him terribly.  His passing was my first significant loss.  It has been an extremely challenging year of coping and working thru my grief journey.

• Members

I am sorry for the loss of your father-in-law Konnie.  I am guessing that it all depends on the policies of where a person is employed.  Gratefully where I work the same amount of bereavement time is allowed for in-laws as is with immediate family members.  I would hope that ALL workplaces allow this time off for in-laws.  

Take care ... 

Cindy Jane

Archived