Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Losing 2 cats in the space of 5 weeks

jc2001

• Members

5 weeks ago my beautiful 12 year old devon rex was put down due to kidney failure and severe arthritis. This was the first loss I had ever experienced, and I was and still am deeply saddened by it. I pulled away from important commitments such as my uni assignments and shifts at work. It was an extremely difficult time during the two weeks following his death. However, a week or so after his passing, my 13 (turning 14 on the 4th of October) devon rex began to have breathing problems. She has been having severe coughing fits and her breathing rate has increased significantly. Over the past week her condition has worsened, to the point shes breathing with an open mouth and her breathing seems forced and extremely uncomfortable. I finally decided to take her to the vet today because I realised I was in denial about how serious it could be. She was immediately put in a box and supplied oxygen, and then was given a chest x ray. It was found that she is actually suffering from congestive heart failure due to an enlarged heart (2x the size of a cat's her size should be), which is causing an excess of fluid in and around her lungs which is why she has been struggling so much with her breathing. To think I went into the vet sure that she was probably only suffering from feline asthma, I was in absolute shock and have been in tears since I found out. She is staying overnight to attempt to monitor her condition, as once we left, the vet drained the fluid from her lungs and gave her a medication which should help prevent the excess fluid from returning. If this goes well, we will be able to provide her with some form of short term treatment, however, if it doesn't work, we will be putting her down on Thurday. My heart is aching to the point I'm now the one dealing with breathing problems. I'm trying so hard to not hyperventilate as I type this. This cat is literally my soulmate, I have no idea how I am going to cope after just accepting my other cats death. I have had this cat since I was 6 years old, I am now 19 - she has been by my side during my worst and best times, and has provided me the most unconditional love throughout her whole life. I love he to death and the thought of not being able to hold her tonight while I sleep is giving me so much pain. What's worse is that if the medication doesnt work and she will be then put down on Thursday, I have no idea how I'm going to get through the test I have that day, and feel as though my performance in my exams in a few weeks will be poor. I neglected my responsibilities due to my grief when my previous cat passed, yet the relationship I have with this one is beyond any relationship I have with any other animal or human. It's impossible to describe the love I have for her. I am so scared. I feel so alone.

• Members

I'm so sorry to hear that your sweetheart is going through this. I hope so much that she pulls through. I lost my baby 2 weeks ago and it was the worst day of my life. Its been a horrible 2 weeks. You're not alone. I had a hard time doing anything. I went 2 days without eating before I realized I should and that my sweet kitty would not want me getting sick. 

Is there any way you can tell your professor that you need an extension on your exam? Losing a pet is like losing part of yourself. My kitty has part of my heart and will always have it with her. I will always feel like something is missing because of how much I love her. I still have a hard time believing that she is gone and its somewhat helping me. This site has helped me as well. I now know that there are plenty of people that share my pain and know what its like. 

• Members

I know how you feel about losing your cat.  Kato, my superbuddy, was the best friend I ever had.  For 15 years he was always there for me during the worst periods of my life.  He was such a sweet, happy, innocent soul and it was truly a gift to have that little fellow in my life.  When he died, he died in my arms, and it felt like I'd lost the only true good thing in my life...it still feels like that today, nearly two months later.  He was a real cat's cat.  I hope reincarnation is true, because I hope someday to find him again.  If I do, I'll locate a holistic vet to treat him organically;  the cowboy I took him to misdiagnosed him and gave him medicine that killed him.  It makes me so angry to know that he could have still been with me if it wasn't for that vet's negligence!  The only way I'll get over this grief and anger is to find another Kato.  God bless you. 

• Members

Thank you both so much for your replies. I desperately needed that support you both just provided. I am so deeply sorry to hear about both of your cats, I share both of your pain so much. It's such a terrible feeling to lose an animal that provided you with so many good times and loved you no matter what.

My beautiful girl is travelling a lot better now. Thankfully she is not getting put down tomorrow. After draining the fluid from her lungs, her breathing is no longer laboured - however it's still somewhat shallow. We have put her on short term medication until November which is when we have decided we are going to say goodbye. I am fighting tears back as I type this. She has slept all day since we picked her up and has only eaten half of her usual meal. I dont know if it was the stressful night she must have had staying overnight at the vet when for 14 years shes been in a warm bed each night, but I can feel a massive difference in her strength, she's become quite weak and very lethargic. I hope over the next few days that this medication helps her somewhat.

Right now shes laying next to me purring away, I havent left her side all day. The thought of not seeing her and cuddling her everyday creates a stabbing feeling in my chest - I love her so incredibly much

Thank you again, my thoughts are with the both of you

• Members

I lost my gorgeous 14 year old devon rex yesterday not even 3 months after losing my other cat. Her medications were helping her congestive heart failure somewhat at first but it got to the point that she was truly struggling to breathe.

I got home from work to find her on my sisters bed with her nostrils flaring trying to catch a breath. I picked her up and held her a few minutes and I just knew it was time. We rang the vet and took her in an hour later.

there arent enough words to describe my pain. I loved her so much. I gave her so many kisses right before she passed and told her how much i loved her but I didn't have the strength in me to watch it happen. I miss her so much my heart feels so heavy and it aches. To describe the feeling of losing a pet, especially one that was with you so long and loved you like no one else could, is absolutely impossible. It's hard to breathe and i find myself sitting and staring at something for long periods of time just not moving, i'm so numb yet at the same time Im feeling everything at once.

For 14 years she slept by my side each night. She grew up with me and was with me through all my greatest achievements but also all my darkest moments. Whenever I was down or struggling all it took was one cuddle from her and my pain was eased. But this time i dont have her here to comfort me and the thought of having to deal with my future issues alone is terrifying. I miss her so incredibly much. I would give absolutely anything just to see her once more.

I wouldnt wish this feeling on anyone

• Members

I am so incredibly sorry for your pain and mine as we grieve the loss of our loved ones. It is so difficult and nice to know others are here for us. Take care and God Bless.

• Members

I'm sorry for your loss and know what you have gone through.

I lost my two cats inside a year.

Rossi had breathing problems just like you described, i eventually had to euthanize.

Elvis died in my arms quite peacefully 6 days ago from Kidney failure.

I know my boys are together again.

Just last night i was trying to fall asleep and i felt little paw prints walking on my pillow, i turned around and nothing was there.

When Rossi passed i felt his tail brush against my leg when i opened the back door, i think they survive death in some capacity.

Archived