Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Eastcoast

• Members

My very best friend of 11 years commuted suicide by self immolation last week. She suffered from bi-polar since childhood. Despite her mental illness, she was a radiant, popular and breathtakingly beautiful girl. In the weeks leading up to this I reached out to her family and counselors and anyone I thought could help, airing my concern. She then cut all contact with me, disconnected her cell and fb. I hoped she was in the psych ward getting the help she needed. When her Mom called to tell me what happened and that she was on life support in the hospital, my heart sunk.

In life you have relationships with boss' and lovers and family and aquaintances whom we tend to compartmentalize because in those relationships you each fill a mutual role. You hold things back or show parts of yourself to these people because you care how they view you. Every now and then you have someone in your life that you let see all of you, because there is trust and you know their love is unconditional and they won't judge you for your innermost thoughts or actions. So when my very best friend just passed, I'm left feeling like I lost a part of myself, all my secrets etc.

Her family has chosen not to have a funeral to date. I'm not sure if they ever will have one and that is entirely their choice. I respect that and I have no idea the pain of losing a sibling or child.

I contacted the city I live in and got approval to get a memorial bench in my friend's name at a local park. I then started a go fund me campaigns to raise the funds for the bench. I'm going this because I feel like she deserves for someone to do something for her. So that people can have a place to go and remember her.

A lot of people on fb have made public outcrys due to her death. I contacted some of her friends requesting that they endorse this campaign to get her a bench. None of them responded. I know woman are weird with eachother, but this isn't about me. This is about my friend.

I guess I just feel lost that her family is trying to keep this out of the public eye and her so called friends can't even contribute 5 bucks to a great cause. Maybe I'm displacing my anger in this situation. I'll get the bench for her either way. Thank you all for reading my rant here and I'm so sorry for your respective loss'

• Members

Hello. My name is Elizibeth. I lost my very best friend, Adam, of 20 years suddenly three years ago. I'm so sorry for your loss. I am also sorry to say that the pain and grief doesn't really get much easier. I also lost my mom suddenly two months ago. I miss her so much, but the loss of Adam strikes deep into my heart every day. I agree that the loss of a best friend is like no other. I still miss him every day. I'm married with four beautiful kids, but at times I feel very alone with out my best friend. I never get used to the idea that he's never coming back. I also have had trouble really connecting with his family and friends. We all talk all the time, but they don't want to really talk about him and their grief. I'm sure your friend's family is in complete shock. People deal with grief differntly I've come to realize. My coping is to talk, some people just can't go there. I went to visit Adam's parents last year. Every time I'd cry they would try to get me to stop. I guess it's still too real for them. Well, i just wanted you to know that someone cares and understands. I think the bench is a beautiful idea. Maybe I will do that for Adam as well. Take care.

• Members
Mydeepestthoughts2

I am so sorry to hear about the sad situation that you had to endure. To lose a close loved one, and not have friends respond to a beautiful way of honoring them can be disappointed. But some people when hurt internalize their pain, so it is hard to determine what the motive may be when people don't respond to ideas we have.

I would also encourage you to look for a more lasting solution.. Phil 4:6,7 provides the answer "let your petitions be made known to God; 7: and the peace of God that surpasses all understanding will guard your hearts and your mental powers by means of Christ Jesus." So prayers can be a source of relief, it can give us peace of mind, thru the worst situations. But that brings up the following questions.."How should we pray? ", And more importantly. ."Does God hear our prayers? ".

For more information on this, and many other comforting bible promises, please click the followings link:

http://www.jw.org/en/publications/magazines/wp20151001/

May you find happiness

Archived