Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

18 1/2 year old kitty - the first one I've had to put down and I am inconsolable

Lesliemurryface

• Members
Lesliemurryface

I know it was the right thing to do. Murphy was in renal failure but had a wonderful quality of life. I cared for him appropriately, but his platelet count plummeted dangerously low, and although he was eating with a healthy appetitive, it was a matter of time. Suddenly, his retinas gave way and he was blind. I put him down this morning after discovering the blindness last night. I know it was the right thing. I am completely devistated.

I had another cat, Keaton, who passed at the age of 17 when Murphy was 14. We were a great comfort to each other and had 4 more terrific years together. I am now, for the first time in 21 years, without another heartbeat in my home and I'm a mess.

Is it crazy to want to find another kitty so soon?

• Members
Lesliemurryface

I'm thinking in about a week to go to a rescue and let one pick me, just like Murphy and Keaton did.

• Members

I don't think it's crazy to look for another kitty. Although I won't be able to get another, I've been looking on petfinder and find a sort of comfort in it.

Archived