Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I miss my dad, so... still feeling alone.

ComfortingFriend

• Members
ComfortingFriend

Hello,

It has been a little over a year since my beloved dad passed away. I suffer from withdrawal and mild depression. Life is not the same, nor will it ever be, again.

Though 48 yrs. old, I have no other family except for mom (whom I treasure). The friends that I thought I had, have dropped writing or seeing me. This has been the single most heartbreaking experience that I have gone through, over the past year.

I don't expect anyone to truly understand the close bond that my parents and I had always shared. But it does help, somehow, knowing that I am not alone--and that not everyone will avoid me altogether, as soon as I mention my loss.

Compared to a year ago, the total numbness that I had experienced in the beginning is gone. I am finally able to concentrate on a pastime or two--even if only for a few minutes. I guess that is a bit of progress, however small.

At work, sad to say, people have not been supportive--but instead have taken advantage of my loss, in order to advance or embolden themselves...hard to believe, and extremely hurtful.

Late last year, I reached out to someone here who was also going through a loss, and it seemed like I had made a difference in his life. I am so pleased about this. I encourage others here to reach out also, because you just never know. It is sad, though, once he or she appears to heal, you often don't hear from them anymore.

Please write me, at:

bradtenan@gmail.com .

I really do need others to communicate with. I still feel very much alone.

Maybe we can help each other--even if just by keeping in touch.

God bless, and take care.

• Members

It has been a little over a month since my dad died. I haven't been able to come to the site as much because I had to start school and I am so overwhelmed. I feel like I am so busy that I am not actually able to deal with my grief. I am taking a speech class this semester and I am doing my commemorative speech on my dad. I thought that it would help me deal with everything, but in all reality it isn't. I keep trying to live the way he would want me to, but I feel like I am just disappointing him. I keep making stupid decisions that I know he wouldn't be happy about. I don't know how to fix anything. I really wish that I could. I wish that you could tell me that a year later it gets better, but it doesn't look like that's what you're saying.

• Members

I am so sorry for both of your losses.  

hmason ... I love that you are trying to live life how your dad would want you to live it.  Not an easy thing to do but keep on trying because that is such a good way to honour him.  I know deep in my heart that our parents who have left us would want the absolute best for us.  

Scottstone ... one of the most healing things for me was to be supportive of others who have lost a parent.  I believe that when we go through a loss like this, that we really can and do help others because we truly do know what they are going through.  I am sure that you made a HUGE difference to that person who you reached out to during their time of loss.  

It's been 1 1/2 years since losing my mom and 10 months since losing my dad and I am still healing every day with this.  BUT I AM HEALING.  It takes time and time is all I've got now so I do try to make the most of it and honour both parents in being the kind of person that they were.  

take care

Cindy Jane

• Members

Hi scottstone , i can totally understand how close you are to your parents.My mum was my whole world. I have no friends either and my crippling anxiety make it impossible to leave my house.I'm 41 never married no kids no family. I have one brother 3 years older than me with schizophrenia. I feel so alone i just want to die but i feel so numb right now. I'd be happy to talk to you if you like.I could email you or talk on here. let me know . I'm sorry for your loss and that you also feel alone. :rolleyes: Take care

Archived