Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Cat unexpectedly put down

sunshine_27

• Members
sunshine_27

I have a dog and 2 cats. Yesterday, my younger male cat, 5 years old, threw up. I didn't think much of it but several hours later he hadn't eaten and was just lying around crying, one of those things where you just know something is wrong. Our usual vet was away on vacation so my mom and I ended up taking him to an emergency vet in our town.

The vet there said he had an urethral blockage and said that he would need to be hooked up to a catheter for 3 days in an attempt to push the blockage out. The vet did not seem optimistic at all, saying there was no guarantee it would work and that there was a very good chance it would later return. On top of all of this, the procedure would cost a little over $1,900. I'm in nursing school and due to that my parents just don't have that kind of money lying around. Our pets all see the vet every year for shots, food etc...they don't go without but this was just such an expected amount. The vet offered a care credit but the idea of owing so much with no guarantee it would work was hard to swallow. We ultimately ended up putting him to sleep. Now that it's all said I done, I know it's too late but I can't help feeling guilty. Reading about it later, it seems the procedure had a much better chance of working than the vet portrayed. If I had just waited another 4 hours he could have gotten into a vet not known for being so expensive and maybe we could have swung the procedure. I just miss seeing his ears poking up from the landing on our stairs, how every time you passed his food dish he was there begging for food. I feel like we just gave up on him and I feel awful.

• Members

Sunshine_27,

I am so very sorry about the loss of your cat. I had a cat, Bob, who had a urethral blockage. We paid the $2000 to get him fixed. A year later, it happened again. We paid again. It happened again. It was going to cost $9000 to send him to a special school for veterinary science to get him fixed again, and there was no guarantee he would live through the surgery. We had to have him put down. 

In hindsight, we should have made that decision the first time. Instead, we bought Bob a few precious years for us to enjoy him, but I think he was always in pain, and he was constantly on meds. I don't think we did the right thing by having that surgery. We loved Bob dearly, but perhaps we should have been less selfish....

So, don't second guess yourself. Really. 

ModKonnie

Archived