Online Grief Support, Help for Coping with Loss | Beyond Indigo Forums
  • Announcements

• ModKonnie

Advertisements   09/05/2017

Hi all,  I'm sure you've noticed some changes in the forums. We've again had to do some updates, so that's why things may look a little different. Nothing major should have changed.  Also, we are going to start adding advertisements sensitive to our community on the boards. This is something we are experimenting with, and we will certainly make sure they are in the best interests of everyone. We want to make sure our forums continue to stay accessible and cost free to all of our members, and this is a way to ensure this.  If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to privately message me or email me at Konnie@beyondindigo.com.  As always, we will be here with you, ModKonnie
Everly

Loss of a parent - daily thread

Hi memyselfi,
I hear ya. I have been through my list of friends phone numbers over and over again and there is no one out there to talk to about this loss. It's a lone journey.
I hear ya about your high-maintenance friend. Friends are all busy living their own lives. Some don't know what to say to comfort us, others don't even care, they are just in it for the good times.
I hear ya about not wanting to get out of bed. I feel like it's ground hog day. Everyday I get up and I work but I'm only working because there is nothing else to do that I want to do. I don't know what I'm working for, just working to kill time.
I went to bed early on New Year's Eve deliberately. I used to stay up til midnight watching the fireworks with my mom. But mom is gone now so I want to bed early to forget.
All these things I used to do with mom that I no longer want to do because she is not here to do it with.
Sometimes I get anxiety attacks, fear that I have to live for another 30 or whatever years. It's torture.
Then there are days when I forget and it's OK again but the OK days are temporary. I sooooo miss my parents.
We were lucky to have parents. I am grateful for the decades I had them.
I'm sorry for your loss.

Dear Tessa,

I so hear you.  I feel the same.  Sometimes I feel like I am waiting for meaning to fall from the sky and hit me!  Feeling alone is anxiety producing.  I just hope it gets better over time.  I don't think though if you have had a close relationship with your mother who has been there all your life, that when they go,  we can just get on with life.  I wish it worked like that.  I think we have to have a fake life until we start feeling life again.  I might be wrong?  I know nothing.

Well said Sadandlost. I am 65 and after the loss of my mother last year I am totally alone. I agree with everything you said. And agree with what everyone has said. Parents are special. There’s no way to describe losing them. Hard to understand. I am feeling better these days and starting to look forward to the future a bit. But I think of my mother each and every day. All day long. Hang in there, brighter days are coming. 

Dear Bloom, I don’t think everyone goes through this level of despair.  I think if you had a special or very close relationship with your parent, it’s a brutal loss.  I have a friend who lost her mother almost 3 yrs ago.  They had a difficult relationship and it didn’t affect her so much when her mom died suddenly.  She recovered quickly.  Those of us that were blessed with a good relationship with their mothers find it the hardest.

Thank you for your reply.  I hope for better days in the future and I wish you the same.  Take care.

memyselfandi .... I am so sorry for your loss.  I can't tell you how much your story is so similar to mine.  I too lost my mom first and then 11 months later my dad.  He didn't even have to tell me that he didn't want to be here anymore after my mom passed on.  He lost his zest for life, yet he carried on and I think it was for myself and my 2 siblings.  He started to need more help with things after mom passed on and I was the one who took him to appointments, for tests, etc.  The set up was great here because several years ago my parents had to downsize and sell their house so they moved into my house which is a duplex.  It was wonderful having them here so close for those years.  It also made it easier to help them out with the things they needed help with.  

Like you, I was given a huge gift in being there with my dad when he took his last breath.  I sat with him for 24 hours prior to that and also told him that it was time for him to go and be with my mom.  I let him know what a great dad, husband, grandfather, great grandfather, brother, uncle, friend he was to many.  I prayed over him and asked GOD to not let him suffer any more, but he hung on for a few more hours.  Then I told him that my sister, brother and I would be OK.  It was shortly after that when he took his last breath.  I truly believe that he needed to hear that before leaving us.  He needed to know that the 3 of us would stick together and remain the close family that he molded over these years.  

It's been 4 years since losing mom and 3 years since losing dad and I'll tell you that now and then I still shed a few tears in missing them both.  It is very normal to feel extremely sad after such a loss and although it lifts over time, it is a tough thing to go through.  I've often said that heavy sadness is the price we pay for love and I wouldn't trade those years of love for anything.  

God bless you and remember that the feelings you are going through are very normal and you've been given a big gift in being there with your dad until he was taken "home."  GOD is good.

Cindy Jane

Well-it has been almost 14 months since my Dad passed and tonight was one of those reminiscent nights of silent tears...but it is so cold here in NH that the tears felt so warm rolling down my cheeks, I just thought and smiled to myself-those are just warm little hugs on my cheeks from my Dad...like kisses from him when I was a baby.

I thought I would share that with all of you.

Dear Swoopie,

Thank you for sharing with us this moment.  It is beautiful way to honor your beloved dad.

Hard to believe its really 2018 and we all just made it through the first week.

Thinking of you all.

Today is a really difficult day.  I keep finding myself going off to cry in the bathroom alone so no one knows.  It's been a month since I lost my Dad and the past few weeks I was thinking I was doing really well because I could go days without crying about missing him.  But today I feel hollow inside.  The void he's left in my heart is massive. All I want to do is curl up I. A dark room alone and wait for this to pass. To hurt less. To feel less alone. I feel so alone. And can't stop crying. 

Dear DisneyDad

And everyone who has lost a loved one, so sorry for your loss. I have lost everyone in my family. So I know the pain. It does lessen with time. Some days it feels ok, others it feels soooo bad. It comes and goes on its own. There's nothing we can do but talk and express our grief and sadness. That is what helps. I hope you have someone to talk to. Everyday I wake up missing my parents, and wishing it were different, but it's not. But I am feeling better as time has passed. And you will too. 

Feeling your pain and hope we all heal and feel better.

Dear DisneyDad,

My deepest sympathies and condolences. I'm very sorry for your loss. Losing a beloved dad is one of the hardest things in the world. All your thoughts and feelings are natural and normal. Grief hits us all really hard. Try to lean on trusted friends and family during this difficult time. Please know we are all here to listen and support each other.

Thinking of you and your family during this difficult time.

Sending all my thoughts and prayers.

Hey all,

Do any of you have tips for sleepijng? Night are always so hard because I cant distract my brain.   Growing up,  I always had to hide my emotions.  There was a lot of traumas amd it was how I coped, once  again,  i am finding myself hiding my emotions.  I want to cry,  i want to let it out but i don't know how to.  I feel numb and scared.   So much anxiety and fear that i will break down in front of my kids.   I think i need to find a therapist.   I really need to find a way to face my emotions. 

Dear NMRNO,

Sleeping is so hard when going through grief.  My suggestion would try to have a routine. Try to do some meditating or breathing exercises. I try to make sure my room is dark and there are no electronics. Some people find having a noise machine that makes sound waves helpful. Another option is to talk to your doctor. I know for some the only way to sleep is to take a mild sleeping pill.

It is hard to let out the emotions. If you can try and find a grief counsellor to speak with or join a support group. Or keep writing here and let us know how are you doing.

Thinking of you.