Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

My Best Friend's Suicide

tealtear

• Members

It has been two years since my best friend Ally killed herself. We were in 8th grade at the time. I didn't even know she was depressed until it happened. I'm in high school now and I'm having a really difficult time with all of the pressure. I have friends to lean on, but I can never really talk to them completely openly. My parents were worried and they sent me to a psychologist who said I was afraid to open up because I didn't want to get hurt like I did with Ally, but I don't know if that is it and I don't know how to change. I feel so trapped and alone and I've been thinking about how much I wish Ally were still here a lot lately. I want to know ways that I can move on with my life.

• Members
cryingeyes

Hello, I am so sorry to hear about your friend Ally. When I was about your age my brother committed suicide. One thing I do remember is how much it meant to my  Dad to have some of my brother's friends remember my brother.

I don't know if you were close to her family, but I think maybe a note would be nice. Maybe they need to know someone out there still remembers their loved one.

From my own perspective-no one knew what to say, so they either didn't say anything or something like-why did they do it? If I knew then what I know now-I would say-make a gesture in the way of a memorial. Plant a nice  tree or something like that. Anything to let the family (and you) know that she won't be forgotten.

Please don't blame yourself for something that was out of your hands. You sound like a very good friend, hopefully you can draw on the good memories and time will heal the pain of your loss.

Take care,

Regina

Archived