Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost My Cerebral palsy brother

Mel_246

• Members

I'm 20 and a college student. My brother was 23 but as cerebral palsy, his personality was an 8year old. How he died? The complications of ammonia and congested heart failure (weak heart). It was a very prolonged death. At first we didn't knew he was going to die. He was diagnosed in November for congested heart failure. Was hospitalized for a whole month and was sent home until I called 911 because he was experiencing tachycardia. By the way, my brother does not communicate at all and and can not do anything for himself so my whole life routine was always him, cleaning, bathing, feeding, etc. so what I'm trying to say is my mom and i had to go with our instincts on Jeffrey's(my brother) health. It was such a hard a long experience. It was horrible! My family consists of me, my mom and my dad but he is divorced from my mom. We would all take turns staying the night with him. At one point I went back to college after thanks giving and came back in December. We never had the idea that Jeffrey was dying because the doctors did not say he was until later in December, I had to stay the night with him. All of a sudden, he fell ill on me and more than 20 doctors came rushing in. The things I saw traumatized me. I would yell at the doctors to stop, get out, you're making him scared, stop taking blood from him, don't restrain him, get off of him. To see my brother who doesn't know what's going on and can not communicate, I felt his pain to the point of intubating him. That's when my mom and dad came and we all knew that Jeffrey is dying. People do recover after they intubation so we all still had hope. We did not celebrate Christmas or New Years. We just stayed at the intense care section watching him sleep. He was not in a comma but he was really sedative. He was intubated for two weeks, two weeks of non responding. I had ended up being the strong one in the family, my mom and dad were distraught and I never seen them like that before. Crying and crying, I was their only child. We are catholic so we prayed the rosary to him everyday. Our belief was what gave us little strength and our other family members who would also come and stay with us. In the end, my parents made the decision to take him off life support because doctors said he was not getting any better. I also agreed and we all said our goodbyes to him. He died January 9, 2015.

I never got the chance to grieve. I had to stay strong throughout the whole process for my parents. We had one funeral in NYC and then the next day we flew to my parents home country for a second funeral and the burial. Then fly back to NYC and the next day go back to school which is upstate, 3 hrs away from home. Till this day, I have no time for grieving but i feel very sad and stressed due to classes and work. I just want to go home but I'm scared to come back home and not find him there.

• Members

Mel_246,

I am very sorry to hear about your loss of your brother. Perhaps it's time you took some time to let yourself grieve. Things will be very hard when you go home and he is not there, but in time, the pain and anguish you feel will lessen to a dull throb. One thing I tried to do when my brother died was to remember the happy memories of him. 

We will be here for you,

ModKonnie

Archived