Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Organ and tissue donation

bunnyanddove

• Members

Josh was an organ donor and he was able to make tissue donations when he passed away.  The donation organization has been very supportive and they send condolence cards and grief pamphlets.  Today I received a letter in the mail that specifically talked about which types of tissue were donated by Josh and how they are used to help people.  I cried so hard reading that letter and am still crying now.  I know how he wanted to help people, and I am a donor myself, but it hurts so much to think that they did that to him.He always gave of himself to others and I know it would make him happy that something good could come out of all of this pain. But it is really hard to feel that right now. Maybe it makes it more real that he is gone?

Has anyone been through this?

• Members

I've been through the opposite of this.  My husband was a transplant recipient.  He had a heart & kidney transplant.  I can totally understand how you feel though.  My husband wouldn't have lived past 2003 if it were not for the gift of life he received.  It is such a bittersweet thing to deal with.  I was so sad for the family who lost their young man to a terrible accident.  But I was also so grateful to this young man and his family.  Organ donation is a really good thing.  I am glad that I never had any communication with the family though because I wouldn't know how to tell them that Jerry died 10 years later.

• Members
Silvergirl61

My Dennis was a donor, too. Last time I checked up, he had helped 60 people through the gifts he gave.....

I still have not looked at the list of all the things he gave, and i may never read all of it. I know some of it..because of the letters from a few he helped. As time goes on, I'm finding it easier to accept his view of things. When we talked about it..he said " It makes no sense to me for something that can help other people to just be thrown away when i am gone. It's not like it will make any difference to me..because I will already be done with this body, and I will have already gone on to whatever is next. Don't be silly about it..it is the same thing as donating my clothes to the goodwill- someone who needs these things  won't have to go without them. Promise me you will at least try to see it that way..."

It is hard sometimes, and yet at others, it is wonderful to know he cared that much for people he would never know.

Because he was a hero, there are two people who see. There is a young woman who can again run, and play the sports she loves. There is a young father, back from a war, who can use his arm to hug his wife, and hold his son.....

Somehow, knowing this makes his decision seem to be the only one- and i am coming to peace with it, a little at a time.

post-300206-0-70184600-1427863656_thumb.

Archived