Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Should I cry openly?

feeling robotic

• Members
feeling robotic

My cat is dying and it's hitting me and my wife very hard. Right now I'm mostly worried about my wife. I'm trying my best to support her and help her, but for some crazy reason I can't take away the pain of death. Maybe someone else knows how to do that trick? She is crying a lot and is not dealing well with the "hopelessness" of the situation. There is no chance our cat will get better. It's only down hill from here.

I feel like if I let myself cry around her that I will be admitting we don't have much time left and things suck. Or that holding back shows her she can lean on me as much as she needs. Is that right? I could also see that by not crying I will be making her feel alone or like I'm distant or something.

I'd love to hear some personal preference. How does it make you feel when others cry? Thank you!

• Members

For some people, crying is a way to begin to heal or a way to express how they feel. Crying doesn't mean you give up hope. If your cat is dying, then acceptance is also a part of that healing process. 

For other people, crying feels like weakness (but it's not). 

I think if you want to cry, then you should. I personally like to get in a good crying session once in awhile. It makes me feel better, but not everyone feels that way. 

So, do what you feel, and don't worry what others think. 

ModKonnie

Archived