Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Missing dad over a month after his death

stephy9538

• Members

It has been over a month since my dad passed away from a fall down the steps. He had been sick from various ailments for 2 years but the pain of losing him still remains. Just last night I turned around to see if he was watching Hawaii 5 O or napping in his chair. I am managing going to work day in and day out but there are times I am stricken with the notion that I will never see him again or hear his voice. I write this with tears in my eyes. Feeling loss but moving on to help mom who was married to him for 46 years. God give us strength to keep moving forward

• Members

Stephy,

I am so sorry about the loss of your father. It is very difficult at first, but in time, it does get easier to manage. I almost had to smile at the story you share about him sitting in his chair watching Hawaii 5 O. My dad has been gone for five years, and he loved Paula Dean. When I see her picture or see her in the news, it just tears me up for a few minutes. When I really get hit hard with missing my dad, I try to pause, breathe deep and picture him sitting in his chair and just talking to me. I imagine his voice and even his irritation when the kids were making too much noise as he tried to watch TV. I can laugh now, but it took awhile. Just remember, he will always be with you. 

We will be here for you,

ModKonnie

• Members

Stephy,

I'm very sorry to hear about your loss. I lost my father when I was 2 years old (I'm 27 now). He was a police officer who died in the line of duty.

I repressed these emotions up until about four months ago when major relationship problems forced all the emotions I was repressing to come bubbling to the surface. I want you to know whatever you're feeling is normal. Rage. Sadness. Anger. Anguish. Numbness. Your grieving process is your grieving process and no one can tell you differently.

Don't deny those emotions. They're brutal, but in order to get past them you need to feel them first. One step at a time.

Thinking of you,

-David

Archived