Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

my maxwell had to put to sleep

Maxwell2014

• Members

My maxwell of 12 years I had to put to sleep 12-27-2014. I am devastated I have 2 other cats but maxwell was my baby my first cat . Couple days before Christmas he seemed like he was having problems breathing I took him to the vet expecting him to have an infection or cold I was blindsided that he would not be back home after that day. The vet checked him and did an X-ray he was breathing with his mouth open sounded terrible . X-ray showed he was only using a third of his lungs and had fluid build up . I made the decision to have them drain the fluid in hope he would get better and better understanding what was going on. After the fluid drain he did not get any better and was worse had to stay on oxygen he was not stable enough to go home and seemed in a lot of pain not moving . I made the decision to have him put to sleep he was worse than before and having a harder time breathing. I petting his head told him I loved him and would forever miss him . He flicked his tail for a second but would not move. After I felt complete like I played God and felt that I would be punished for what I did took a life. I am a wreck I keep thinking he will be sleeping in his spot or I'll see him laying somewhere . My one other cat who would always hid and not what to be around people is now always wanting affection all day and also coming out greeting people . Some people think I am crazy for being so emotion over my cat

• Members

You are not crazy.  I don't understand how some people cannot appreciate the love cats can give to their human partners and in turn, how emotionally attached we get with our cats. I am still dealing with the grief in decisions I made, even though I did what I thought was best.  You do not want your babies suffering and will do anything to ease that pain.  

You did everything you could to try to save Maxwell. You showed the ultimate in love for Maxwell by easing his suffering.  I know we are never prepared for the end and always ask for just one more day to share and love our pets, but there is only so much we can do.

Cherish the time you have with your remaining feline family.  Take plenty of pictures so you will always have them to look back on and remember the wonderful times you shared.

• Members
carolann12345

There is nothing crazy about being upset over a beloved pet.  You did the best for Maxwell and he was loved and cherished while he was with you. It was my boys Charlie and Harry who got me through the dark days when my Mom was ill and then finally died. Despite my partner and friends and family being supportive it was to my boys I turned to for comfort. I have lost cats before and the feeling of loss  is unlike anything you will feel when family or friends die because our pets never judge us and never question what we do or what we look like all they want is to be loved and love us in return. Hard though it is please treasure your time here when Maxwell was with you and never be ashamed of being upset over losing him.

• Members

Sorry to hear about maxwell , I'm sure you done your best for him , but some people who don't have animals don't understand how attached you are to them , just like your kids , just before my ollie died , I had to leave work earlie to take him too the vet and my boss wasn't pleased , as if it's only a cat , yeh only a cat he's like my baby .. I will never forgive her for not understanding the situation that I was in , my heart was raceing panicking for his well being , thinking off you , jackie

Archived