Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of Claira Belle-my best friend

ClairaBelle42508

• Members
ClairaBelle42508

Just last night I lost my Claira Belle. She was only 6 years old. I got her when I was going into 1st grade, she was my first pet. I am currently shaking and crying. Claira was a beautiful black cat,her fur looked brown in the sunlight. For the past 2 months she had been breathing heavy. In the beginning, I told my mom we should take her to the vet, but my mother said maybe she had a little cold. She seemed perfectly fine, she ate her food. My mom hesitated to take her to the vet, Claira did not like the car. She would drool, and lose control of bodily functions. My parents and I, took her to the vet thinking maybe she had something little and well, fixable. As soon as we told the vet what happen, she took her heartbeat. The vet said she couldn't hear her heart beat. My dad told me to go walk around PetSmart, I was tearing up as I was looking at the cats. My dad came and found me and said "this is Claira's last night, let's go get your brother". I started bawling. We got my brother and came into Claira's room. The vet showed me the x-rays. She explained that Claira's heart may have failed causing her lungs to be filled with liquid and her stomach was full of air. I was so confused, she had been pushing through it for months and she didn't even show pain. The vet explained how they hide their pain. My mom and I decided to stay while they put her down. We got to hold her, and take pictures. She didn't even know what was happening, she just meowed just like she always does. She went down peacefully.

She loved Christmas trees, I'm so glad she got to have one last Christmas. It was so selfish of us to keep her in all the suffering, but we didn't know she was dying. All of the time she was breathing heavy she was just drowning in her own pain. The vet said if we brought her early nothing would have changed. I just can't grasp that she's gone. I saw her stop breathing, But when my mom asked me if I wanted her food bowl, I knew it was real. I still think she's coming back, but I know she isn't. I never imagined at 6 years old, adopting a cat and saying she's going to die when I'm 13. I always thought she would be around until I was an adult. I pictured myself going of to college saying goodbye to my skinny black cat. She was my first pet, my dad is allergic to cats. I begged for her. During school nights I read in bed she always slept with me and purred. Now I won't have a cuddle buddy. In the beginning of her rough breathing in mid November I was scared. At night I would cry to my mom "Claira isn't breathing right she's going to die" . My mom would say "She is going to die, but not anytime soon". Every night I would think about losing her. Now that it actually happened, I realize I was right all along. I should have brought her sooner. She was dying and I didn't even know it. She was my best friend, my first pet, and the sweetest cat I'll ever meet. I can't picture life without her meowing waking us up in the mornings because she wanted her wet food. I can't stop crying and always play a montage in my head of me adopting her until I saw her lying peacefully. She was my best friend

post-401575-0-30547900-1420478613_thumb.

• Members

Posted Yesterday, 02:52 AM

My maxwell of 12 years I had to put to sleep 12-27-2014. I am devastated I have 2 other cats but maxwell was my baby my first cat . Couple days before Christmas he seemed like he was having problems breathing I took him to the vet expecting him to have an infection or cold I was blindsided that he would not be back home after that day. The vet checked him and did an X-ray he was breathing with his mouth open sounded terrible . X-ray showed he was only using a third of his lungs and had fluid build up . I made the decision to have them drain the fluid in hope he would get better and better understanding what was going on. After the fluid drain he did not get any better and was worse had to stay on oxygen he was not stable enough to go home and seemed in a lot of pain not moving . I made the decision to have him put to sleep he was worse than before and having a harder time breathing. I petting his head told him I loved him and would forever miss him . He flicked his tail for a second but would not move. After I felt complete like I played God and felt that I would be punished for what I did took a life. I am a wreck I keep thinking he will be sleeping in his spot or I'll see him laying somewhere . My one other cat who would always hid and not what to be around people is now always wanting affection all day and also coming out greeting people . Some people think I am crazy for being so emotion over my cat

• Members
ClairaBelle42508

Posted Yesterday, 02:52 AM

My maxwell of 12 years I had to put to sleep 12-27-2014. I am devastated I have 2 other cats but maxwell was my baby my first cat . Couple days before Christmas he seemed like he was having problems breathing I took him to the vet expecting him to have an infection or cold I was blindsided that he would not be back home after that day. The vet checked him and did an X-ray he was breathing with his mouth open sounded terrible . X-ray showed he was only using a third of his lungs and had fluid build up . I made the decision to have them drain the fluid in hope he would get better and better understanding what was going on. After the fluid drain he did not get any better and was worse had to stay on oxygen he was not stable enough to go home and seemed in a lot of pain not moving . I made the decision to have him put to sleep he was worse than before and having a harder time breathing. I petting his head told him I loved him and would forever miss him . He flicked his tail for a second but would not move. After I felt complete like I played God and felt that I would be punished for what I did took a life. I am a wreck I keep thinking he will be sleeping in his spot or I'll see him laying somewhere . My one other cat who would always hid and not what to be around people is now always wanting affection all day and also coming out greeting people . Some people think I am crazy for being so emotion over my cat

I am so sorry for your loss. The exact same thing happen to my Claira. I know exactly how you feel.

Archived