Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

The loss of my only sibling (younger), to cancer.

shamilamohammed

• Members
shamilamohammed

Hi

I lost my younger sister (my only sibling) at the tender age of 38 on December 16th 2014. She was ailing from cancer for the past four years which started in her breasts, spread to her bones / spine, and eventually to her liver. She fought a tough battle but succumbed to her illness two weeks ago.

It is still unreal to me and I do not know where to start to heal. I am still hoping this is a bad dream.

The following is a piece I wrote on her (the mention of a sister Savi is a step sister of ours whom we met as adults only a few years ago).

After battling aggressive cancer for the past four years, it is Allah’s will that my sister, Shalima, be with him at the tender age of 38. God wants dependable, strong but compassionate soldiers at his side, it is without doubt that Shalima is at his side.

To all who knew her, her enthusiasm for life and love for family during her lifetime, especially, during her endurance of this dreadful sickness, should teach us life’s lessons. Allah’s lessons of humility, selflessness, goodness, kindness, respect and love for family, friends, and mankind, she learnt and took to her grave. She knew only too well that richness is not what we possess but the relationship we have with God and the relationships we share with our loved ones and those with whom we share a path. We enter this world with nothing and leave with nothing but the lasting impression our character has left on the minds of those knew us. I know that many will always remember Shalima with loving thoughts.

She never questioned but accepted Allah’s affliction that was trusted upon her and remained steadfast in prayer and believed in him even during times of excruciating pain. After all “Allah knows best”.

Her devotion to her children was unwavering, painful to even walk at times, she insisted to the doctors who gave up on her, that she would return to work. This she did with the sole purpose of spending whatever little time she had on earth with her two children. Going to work / school on mornings and on the way back home allowed this bonding time with her family.

The lesson of unconditional love she learnt from her mother, her strength she grew from her. At 71, a frail Violet, nursed her ill stricken daughter through her years of illness. She was constantly at her side and cared for her until she took her last breath and in preparation for afterlife.

Her love and dedication for her husband Aneil during marriage stood the test of time, she never gave up on that love for him and held on tight.

Her sister Savi, brother-in-law, Vijay, niece Kandis, nephews: Evans, Nigel, Honey, in-laws: Sherri and Cintra, the grandkids, whom she knew for too little time, she placed a special love, care and appreciation.

I have been her constant companion in her life, through good times, through bad times, agreeing or disagreeing. For the most part, I have been the stronger of the two, but through her illness, she taught me the greatest lesson in my life: FAITH, BELIEF, and ACCEPTACE of ALLAH and the burdens he places on me.

The peacefulness and pleasantness on her face on the day we laid her to rest tells me that she is in a better place. Not a day will go by that I will not think about her, she will always be in my heart, the void she has left in my life will never be filled and living without her will be the greatest struggle for me thus far.

May she be at peace with her creator.

اللَّهُمَّ اغْفِرْ لِفُلَانِ وَارْفَعْ دَرَجَتَهُ فِي الْمَهْدِيِّينَ وَاخْلُفْهُ فِي عَقِبِهِ فِي الْغَابِرِينَ وَاغْفِرْ لَنَا وَلَهُ يَا رَبَّ الْعَالَمِينَ وَأَفْسِحْ لَهُ فِي قَبْرِهِ وَنَوِّرْ لَهُ فِيهِ

"O Allah, forgive Shalima. Make her among the guided ones, raise her status and be her deputy among the grieving. O Lord of the two worlds, forgive us and her and make her grave wide and full of light".

Love forever: Violet, Jeremiah, Hailey, Aneil and Shamila.

Shamila

• Members

Shamila,

I am so very sorry about the loss of your dear sister. The piece you wrote is absolutely wonderful. You begin to get through this by simply talking to others about how you are feeling and about your sister. I hope you are taking care of yourself.

We will be here for you,

ModKonnie

• Members

I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm praying you are able to find peace, comfort and understanding.  I lost my only sibling- my sister in 2011. She was 34 years old and left behind a little one- who we are now raising. I just lost my mom and my dad (step-dad) two months ago and I'm struggling with all these losses. 

Be gentle with yourself and take time to grieve. I get daily verses sent to my email from GriefShare which helps me a lot.   http://www.griefshare.org/dailyemails

Kind Regards,

Stacie

Archived