Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Family Distance after my sister's death

mleelulu

• Members

:( My sister died tragically three months ago and since that time my family is falling apart. We all held vigil at her house while she was missing and then after returning home her husband has not let me have any contact with my sisters kids. I feel like giving up because I can't handle this rejection right now. Our parents have never been in our lives much but now I am trying to be close to them again. I just really feel deserted by friends and aquaitences. People are avoiding me, I don't know if it is because they don't know what to say but it really hurts. I really need to find some help therapy or otherwise. I am hanging on by a thread and I keep pushing the pain away. I am not dealing well with it I know and I need to find more positive ways.

Is there anyone here that has more experience or more time has passed. How did you get through this beginning time after the death of your sibling?

I am sorry for your loss and wish you peace.

• Members

Hi There,

I am so sorry for your loss and for what your family are going through. There is no words that can make it better, but being able to talk to people who loved your sister may help. I lost my brother 8 months ago. the first 5 months were a blur , writing   down nice things about your sibling and what they meant to you may help. Its whatever gets you from day to day . I am still  on that road . I hope you can find a grieving group that can help take care mazza.

• Members

mleelulu,

Have you tried asking your brother-in-law why he has not allowed contact with her children?  We all react differently in these times.  Maybe he just needs the seclusion.  In any case, I don't see any harm in asking, and if he seems open to it, explain that you are hurting too, and would really like to be able to talk to the kids.

If you think you need professional therapy, you probably do.  There are lots of resources available.  You can call your local hospital for recommendations.

In time, things do get better.  It is very possible to get back to some sort of a normal routine.  I think I have, but only recently, after 7 years.  The hurt is still very intense, but it does not come 2 or 3 times a day any more.  It's now 2 or 3 days between emotional episodes. 

Find someone to talk with.  I didn't and I think I would have been much better if I had.

/*tom*/

Archived