Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Why did my Floyd die?

LoriS

• Members

Just this past Monday, I took my 11 y/o male cat, Floyd to the vet because he had been losing a lot of weight in a short period of time. In every other way he was himself, no lethargy,etc and did not really present as "sick". Tuesday, we got the diagnosis of diabetes. I was instructed to bring him in to the vet on Wednesday and that they would have to keep him for a few days to try and get his blood sugar regulated. I spoke with the vet mid-day on Wednesday, and they said that Floyd was just fine. However, Thursday morning, I received a call from the vet telling me that when the staff returned to the office that morning at 6am, they had found Floyd unresponsive, hypoglycemic and hypothermic. I was told that he had been given glucose and that he was starting to move around which was a good sign. I was told that I could call back later in the afternoon for an update. When I did, I was told that Floyd had been "decompensating" throughout the day and that they were very concerned about him. It was felt that perhaps he had seized & lapsed into a coma, leaving his brain without adequate oxygen and this was why he was now presenting as though he had a "brain injury". I ended up taking him 30 miles away to an emergency vet & referral facility where he could get around the clock care. We were told there that it looked like he had either been overdosed with insulin or that perhaps he was just very sensitive to insulin. Within an hour of us bringing him to the emergency center, he began to have seizures. They did eventually get the seizures to stop, but Floyd then lapsed into a coma and I was told that he was most likely not going to recover. And after a few very long and painful hours, my son and I decided that the best thing that we could do for our beloved pet was to end his suffering and to allow for humane euthanasia. But, I still cannot shake the feeling that there is something that we haven't been told. Did someone screw up and give him too much insulin? And why was there no one there that night to watch my cat, knowing that he was newly put on insulin? I feel like I am responsible for his death somehow, since I am the one who took him in the first place. But I knew that something was wrong since he had lost so much weight. No one really seems to have any answers for me and I have so many questions that need to be answered. What can I do? Will I ever truly know what happened to my boy?

• Members

Sorry for the loss of your cat you can't blame yourself you tried to help him and took him to the vet for care

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss.  Vets that close for the night should have someone to watch their patients, but do not.  How awful for you to go through all that and then have him die.  I would be very angry as well but you probably will not get answers.  You did your best and that is all one can do. Cherish your happy memories of his life.  My kitty is dying of cancer right now.  I am so lucky to have these last days/weeks with him.  When the time is right the vet will come over.  My heart is breaking so I know your pain.

PS:  if you have other loved ones still at home; find a different vet.

• Members

I am so sorry for your loss.  We are quick to blame ourselves after our beloved pets are put to sleep.  I know I had plenty of doubt after whether I could have done more for them, but at the time our minds are so fixed on keeping our pets pain free.  You have given your Floyd a good long life and have obviously been there for him on more then one occasion.  I comfort myself by knowing my two went virtually pain free, its just one way we can cope with such a loss of a well loved family member. I am sure all cat lovers are with you on this and would say you made the right call especially with all the care he received at the end, I would imagine a lot of people giving up long before what you have done.  Hope the days progress eases your grief.

Archived