Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Barely making it from one day to the next

LynnG

• Members

My daughter, Michele, died on Aug. 11, 2014. My grief is all consuming. This holiday season is a nightmare. My granddaughter is a worse basket case than I am. I'm not able to do anything for either one of us. An acquaintance told me "time heals all wounds", and I just wanted to slap him. I was 18 when Michele, my only child, was born, and I raised her by myself. We kinda grew up together. She was my best friend too. I'm afraid I will never be able to pick up the pieces, and go on. Does it ever get better?     Lynn

• Members

So sorry for the loss of your daughter,  the loss is still so new and raw for you at this point.  I lost my son in Feb and I think I have had a harder time in the last 2 months.

It maybe to do with the holidays.  Time doesn't heal all wounds especially these type.  You do have one thing to be grateful for though, she left you a gift of a grandchild to help you through the dark days.  A reason to get up every day and move forward,  would give anything for a grandchild but that hope died with my son. 

But your grandchild needs you as much as you need her.  Just need to stay focused at the task of her and it should help you through these dark days. 

• Members
Mermaid Tears

Lynn....am so sorry to hear of the passing of your beautiful girl....how old was she ? You mentioned a granddaughter...how old is she ? Is she in your care ?

Please go to the site called 'Loss of Adult Child'....we have many active parents on that site that will give you a helping hand in dealing with this horrific grief. And yes.....the holidays are hard...so hard. Please tell us more about your girl and you....we don't have any answers...but we are here to hear you. Please re-read others postings...you may find a word or words that will give you a slice of comfort. Peace to you.

• Members

I'm so sorry for the loss of your daughter Lynn. The holidays are definitely making everything worse. I'm told by folks on this site that though we will always have a void, wound, broken heart, call it what you will- this grief will become a lighter load but will never be completely gone. How could it ever completely be gone , we have lost our sons & daughters, the most precious gifts in life . I lost my son 10 weeks ago, Sept 27th; I'm also completely devastated & consumed by grief. I have no grandchildren from my beautiful son & I desperately wish that I could have had the opportunity to be a grandmother to his children. How old was your daughter?

• Members

Hi Lynn...I am very sorry to hear of your loss...I lost my daughter Oct 18th, she fell into the  canal at daycare....I feel your devastation.  You will find this group of people to be an amazing support...though there is nothing we can "do" for eachother, sometimes you just need to be around people who know what you're talking about instead of being around all the "I'm sorry" and "i can't imagine..."  I agree with wanting to slap the cliche sayers...the "time will heal" and the "better place" and the "you'll see her agian someday" really mean nothing when you've got this raw open wound..."someday" is no comfort when the time between now and then is so undefined.  I'm only 24, my daughter was 19 months..."someday" for me is anytime between 20 seconds from now and 60 years from now...very non-comforting...people mean well, but their well wishes do nothing for the things they dont understand.  I have a four year old daughter still with me, and I can tell u from honest knowledge that if you pour yourself into your sweet grandbaby it won't  fix it, but it'll make the moments where you can't breathe a little bit farther apart.  I don't know if you are on facebook at all, but there are some groups on there that I've joined as well and it's amazing the new "families" that we find through this unfortunate common bond we all share.  One of my favorites on there is called "Mommies to Angels" and it's for all ages of kids nd all kinds off loss.  There is also "My Child is In Heaven" and "my child did exist" and "bereaved mothers"  Which is actually my personal favorite of all of them.  If ever you need anything we are all here, and if you are a facebook user feel free to look me up, it's attached to my phone so i'm available to be a listening ear any time day or night my name is Sky Buck, my profile picture is of my sweet baby girl.  God be with you honey...this is no easy feat in general, but it's a lot harder without HIm. *hugs*post-399061-0-11478100-1418282037_thumb.

Archived