Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Lost my beautiful dog this morning

ctaylor

• Members

Hi all

I'm in a really really bad way. I woke up this morning to find my 2yr old Portuguese Water Dog passed away in the living room. He was my best friend -- my everything. He was so young. I'm so sad I can't get the image out of my head of his limp body. I thought he was sleeping until I shook his body and he didn't budge - then I saw his tongue hanging out of his mouth. I had to carry him in the snow down the street to give his limp body to the animal hospital here in Brooklyn. I don't know how I'm going to get through this. The level of sadness and shock I'm feeling right now is extraordinary.

My boyfriend is in the other room and our apartment feels so quiet. I've been sobbing all morning and don't know what to do with myself.

Thank you for reading.

Cara

• Members

Dear C,

My heart aches with you.  What was your beloved dog's name?  Tell us a little about him or her.

This past Sunday, we had to put our beloved Belgian Sheepdog Mouchette to sleep.  Only a week before, she'd been unexpectedly diagnosed with liver cancer.  We thought she'd have more time, but over the weekend, she deteriorated rapidly and by Sunday morning, she would not eat and she could not get up and walk at all.  We knew it was time to give her a loving and painless exit.

The pain is truly horrible.  We are shell-shocked, and although our friends and neighbors have been so nice and thoughtful, we can do little beyond the basics of eating and sleeping.  I'm writing this through tears now.  So know that you are not alone.  And I can tell you, that even after four days, the pain softens just a bit.  But for now, let yourself grieve.  Give yourself permission to feel sorrow, despair, physical hurt, loneliness.  I'm finding thta it helps to take deep, slow breaths.  Sit down, close my eyes, take slow deep breaths, in through the nose, out through the mouth, as I imagine my beautiful Mouchette sitting beside me, me touching her warm fur.   This simple meditation technique helps me a little.  It's so hard, I know, I know, I know...I'm so sorry for your loss...Laura

• Members

I sit here in tears too as I had to put my dog down when all I wanted to do was take care of him. I had so much pressure from others "to do the right thing." for my Lab was in failing health but not sick. He was adjusting well to his new reality of what long term diebetes was doing to him.

It felt so wrong to take his life, and during the process it did not go smoothly at all. our vet could not find his vein and tried 5 different places to inject 2 x each. Finally with a lot of emtion on all sides our vet gave him a sleep aid and the 5 injection relaxed him. His vein were completely flatten because he was a diabetic lab. It was all so horrible on top with all the guilt that none of this had to be done at the moment.  

I held him in my arms telling him not to worry everything was going to be ok... When he needed me the most, what did I do??? He trusted me...we could have gone on together longer... he didnt need to be put down then...

• Members

oh i feel your pain sweetheart i have lost 3 in 4 years it still breaks my heart , i have another 6 doggies and i dread the day when i have to say goodby to them, all i can do is love and cuddle them take them long walks feed them proper ,and hope to god that i will be reunited with them

bless you  may

• Members

I also feel your pain.  The one thing I know from experience, after having had to put down 6 dearly-loved pets over the last few years,  is that you always second-guess yourself afterwards.  Even when I knew there was nothing that could be done and knew at that moment that I was doing the kindest thing possible for my dear hairy friend, I'd come home and second-guess myself.  I'd do it for days.  Every time. 

There is no easy way to get through this and never the right time to have to face that day.  Every time I've had to make that decision I'd swear I'd never have another dog or cat because it breaks my heart every time I lose one.  And then... a few weeks later one seems to find me, or I feel that tug to start looking for a new pet.  Not a replacement, but another companion. 

When the process of putting a pet down does not go smoothly it makes it doubly hard to deal with.  I had a similar situation with one of my cats a few years ago and it broke my heart.  At the same time I knew that going through with it would spare my little friend a much worse fate if the disease was allowed to run its course.  I struggled terribly for a few days afterwards, remembering those little frightened eyes looking at me.  It is really hard to get past those thoughts, but over time it's much better.  I knew I'd done all I could for her and that even in her last frightening moments I was holding her and talking to her and I believe that was the last thing she heard after the shot made her relax, before the final injection.  That's what counts.  You did all you could for your dear pet and now you have to try to be kind to yourself, knowing you would never have purposely hurt him.  You loved him until the end and he knew it.  The last thing he experienced in this life was your loving touch and kind voice.  You did not fail him.

DianeS

• Members

POEM_Gate.jpg

Just this side of heaven is a place called [highlight= #ffff88]Rainbow[/highlight] [highlight= #88ffff]Bridge[/highlight].

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to [highlight= #ffff88]Rainbow[/highlight] [highlight= #88ffff]Bridge[/highlight]. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross [highlight= #ffff88]Rainbow[/highlight] [highlight= #88ffff]Bridge[/highlight] together.... 

Author unknown...

The above helped me when I lost my Aussie .

• Administrators

Dear Members,

We are excited to mention that we are moving to a more new and improved message boards on MONDAY MORNING AUGUST 9th! The boards will be done for a few hours while we are making the conversation. Remember we posted information about this move a month ago. For some of you this might seem a bit sudden,  but when we were reviewing the site we determined the current message board you are using is out of date and the company that designed it is no longer in existence. The good news is this new message board will have new features that have been requested in the past like more fields we can add to your profiles and a chat room up to 20 people at one time. If we find the chat room is bursting at the seams we will add additional room for extra people. All your old posts, private messages and such will be migrated to the new message board. You might have to put up your profile picture again but not sure. The new company will be doing the migration for us. Here is a short list of some of the new features on the board:

- Custom Profile Fields- Users can customize their profile pages by selecting a background color or background image, with tiling options.- Facebook and Twitter Integration- users can respond to multiple posts at once with "mini-quote"- Pinned discussion threads - like welcome to our board etc.- Announcements made across some boards or the entire message board- Search: Users can easily find all content generated by a particular member, by clicking the 'Find Content' button that appears on the main profile page, or in the Mini Profile Popup which can be accessed throughout the board. The results page allows content to be filtered by application, as well whether the member created it or merely participated in it. - Privacy: allows users to sign in anonymously, hiding them from the online users list. Users also have the option to disable personal conversations and user-to-user emails, as well as ignore other users if necessary.

The next exciting piece of news about the new message board is it will have a new domain name of www.grieving.com for search engine optimization purposes. It will still be apart of Beyond Indigo and can be found through www.beyondindigo.com. We will be redirecting your current URL's to this new domain name but we might miss a few. If that is the case simply go back to www.grieving.com or www.beyondindigo.com to find your message board thread. We will try to make the transition as seamless as possible. 

The bottom line is the new board will give us room to grow our community and more options to interact better with each other. 

If you have any questions please direct them to feedback@beyondindigo.com.

Kelly Baltzell, MA

CEO/President

Beyond Indigo Family

Archived