Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

life after death?

august11

• Members

I lost my brother 3 months ago today. I know it's still early I'm just trying to get some insight on how it's going to be. I feel like it just happened and I feel like I'm still in denial and yet angry at the same time. I can't wrap my head around how he could be gone. He had just turned 24 we had all these plans of what we were doing for our future. It's so unfair to me to think that he won't see his daughter grow up. I would just like other people's thoughts on heaven/after life. Or anything like that, I've never really been a spiritual person or had a God that I prayed to. I just can't stand the thought that I'll never be able to see him again.

• Members

August,

I am not a religious person, but I believe that our souls are eternal.  It wouldn't make sense any other way.  I lost my son and father and believe that I will see them again.  Maybe not in this life but hopefully in the next.  

Angels may also be here to help us .. I have asked them to help me several times with my loss and in the depths of my sorrow.  I believe they are here to help me.  I cannot imagine going through this pain without the help of others.

I was so worried about my son and where was he?  i know exactly how you feel, I wanted to know if Benjamin was ok, Dad was ok..where were they?  Were they together, did they get to see our relatives who have passed on?  Lifes great mystery.

I have found myself interested in reading about mediums and others who have experienced death and returned.  It is kind of eerie - I read a book about this rather recently. 

Maybe these types of books might help you understand if you might see your brother again.  I am so sorry for your loss, I know how hard this must be for you.  IT hurts incredibly bad for a big part of you is gone.  It sounds like you were very close. 

lisa - Benjamin's mom

• Members
Jesse David & Taylor Mom

You might find the following researcher group to be of interest: IANDS (International Association for Near Death Studies). They work with many researchers that are studying Near Death Experiences. Dr. Sam Parnia is another very good researcher on this.

Their Youtube Channel

http://www.youtube.com/user/IANDSvideos

• Members

So sorry for your loss. My brother committed suicide in 2011. I understand where you are coming from when it comes to the thought of never being able to see them again. I was raised Lithuanian Christian, became an atheist, and found spirituality in the Native American Sweat Lodge. I have a BSc and I love science!

So where do I stand on life after death? In science, we have theories, we discover new things and invent new technologies. It's all just "us" trying to make sense of and bringing meaning to the world around "us". I like to think spirituality mirrors this, and it's not exact. Death seems unfair. And, like with science, we need answers. 

What do you think happens when we die?

Here are my thoughts: There is this "us" then this "us" isn't anymore. What do you think happens before birth? When you see a baby or a child, they seem very comfortable with life and death. The adults with all their wisdom and experience cannot wrap their heads around it. Yet, there is nothing we can do to change the fact that we will, in one way or another, die. 

So what is the "us"? Is it out arms and legs? Our heart and brain? Is it my personality? Is it my relationships with my friends, family, loved ones? Is it my experiences and memories? All of the above? If our thoughts and senses are energy, the 1 st law of thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, it just changes it's form.

You don't have be religious or spiritual to feel a closeness to someone who has passed away. You can love science and believe there is "something" after death without being in conflict. 

This is an opportunity to teach this little daughter of his that life and death are normal. 

I like to think that when we die our bodies get recycled back to the Earth, so there is reason to care for the Earth; that our relationships live on in the thoughts and dreams of those still living; and when we all finally pass away, and the sun engulfs the inner planets, that there is something greater than "us" in this beautiful and wondrous universe. 

"The 1st Law of Thermodyamics simply states that energy can be neither created nor destroyed (conservation of energy). Thus power generation processes and energy sources actually involve conversion of energy from one form to another, rather than creation of energy from nothing. " https://chemistry.osu.edu/~woodward/ch121/ch5_law.htm

Archived