Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

lost my little buddy to kidney disease

rbush55

• Members

I don't know how to put into words how empty I feel without this 13 yo little boy in my life; just found out his kidneys had shut down last Friday; middle of  the week he just wasn't himself, and then he started throwing up- which wasn't uncommon for him to do from time to time, but this time it was bad. I hoped it was just a virus, but when I took him to the vet,  his numbers were so bad that the vet told me that she couldn't recommend anything but euthanasia; I just couldn't imagine this at the time- he was on my lap, responding to me. All I could do was blat. Got it together finally, and I explained I just couldn't let him go at that time, so they sent me home with some buprinex for him and I thought I could just keep him in a hospice at home. I hoped he would just die comfortably in his sleep. First day was ok, he really didn't get up, but he would nuzzle and purr when I brushed him or nuzzled him, I gave him pedialyte to at least give him some hydration and comfort and his pain meds every 8 hrs, but Sunday morning, he had his little tongue out and basically just stared out blindly and drooled; hurt him to move him. So I had a little heart to heart with myself and told him how grateful I was to have such a wonderful cat and companion but that I couldn't watch him go through this slow progression of misery just so I could have him around for a little while longer

So I took him to the emergency vet and they put him down very gently ,while I was with him. They gave him propofol first and that just made him totally relax, then the actual agent and he was gone in seconds. Not so much as a twitch or a gasp. It was done very compassionately.

I brought him home and buried him. He is survived by his litter mate.  I just can't stop tearing up- I see him in so many things; he was such a unique cat. I can't describe my sadness without him. I've had plenty of losses in my life, so I know this will become tolerable, but this is horrible.

I wish I knew he was getting so sick- he just seemed his usual old self. Damned- I expected a good 5 more years at least.

I'll love you forever, Boo.

• Members

Rbush55,

I am so very sorry for the loss of your little fur buddy. We went through something similar two years ago. We loved our Bob dearly, but we had to put him down.

I know you'll love him forever. That's okay, because I still love all my lost fur babies. :)

ModKonnie

• Members

I'm so sorry rbush55. I feel your pain. I put my monkey down yesterday due to kidney failure. Tearing my heart out. It has to get better? They are the most innocent creatures and they love so unconditionally. I'm so glad you got to release him humanely. I feel guilty as we'll but would have felt worse if she had died painfully. My heart is broken and I can feel yours too. God bless.

• Members
Swartkrs@yahoo.com

To you Rbush55 and Preyno,I am very sorrow to hear about your babies.

I went thru the same thing 10 Oct. My Ashley was 18 1/2, acute renal failure,I forced fed her,maybe I was selfish,I couldn't see her in pain no more,back legs gave out,couldn't walk,I made dreadful phone call,I miss her so much,everything here is Ashley,does it get better? I don't know.

"If there ever comes a day when we can't be together,keep me in your heart,I'll stay there forever."

Winnie the Pooh

Every Monday night this month that I know of there is a candlelight ceremony at 1000pm honoring all fur babies that we all have lost,will be on Facebook next Monday,PetLoss.com,I just started last night,crying!

Archived