Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

National Conference on Widowhood

soaringspirits

• Members
soaringspirits

My name is Michele Neff Hernandez, and I am the Executive Director of the Soaring Spirits Loss Foundation. We are a non-profit organization focused on providing emotional and practical support to people grieving the loss of a loved one.

This letter is to inform you of an event my organization is hosting. The National Conference on Widowhood will be held in San Diego, California from July 17-19, 2009. This event will provide useful resources and practical tools for rebuilding your life after the loss of a spouse. We have twenty-five speakers coming from thirteen states speaking on more than thirty topics specifically related to recreating a positive and purpose-filled life. We are proud to welcome some of the top professionals in the area of grief and loss, as well as some women who speak only with their "widow credential."

We will begin the weekend with a benefit concert, co-hosted with the San Diego Symphony, at a gorgeous outdoor venue located shore side on the San Diego Marina. Opening our day on Saturday with a keynote address, and continuing with thirty-two break-out sessions throughout the day, we will offer a variety of perspectives on the meaning of being a widow and the ways we can move forward after the devastating loss of a life partner. The hosted picnic lunch will include a two-hour Resource Expo featuring a variety of products and services focused on the needs of our attendees. Saturday evening will end with a semi-formal banquet featuring a special guest entertainer, and the acceptance of a variety of awards given to women who have made significant contributions to the widow community. We will end our time together Sunday morning by putting one foot in front of the other--literally. SSLF is proud to host the first annual Widow Dash 5k Run/Walk. Proceeds will fund grants for widows here in the US who are in emergency situations as a result of the loss of their spouse. Our dash will take us on a lovely route along the edge of the San Diego Marina, and end with snacks and race awards at San Diego's Spanish Landing Park--an inspiring end to a positive and empowering weekend.

For a complete list of speakers, an event overview, and registration information, please visit any of the links below:

http://www.sslf.org/index.html

http://www.sslf.org/conference.html

http://www.sslf.org/c_speakers.html

The success of this event will be dependent on getting the word out to websites, organizations, and support people in the field of grief and loss, so that the women who need this information get it in time to attend this unique event. Your thoughts on this conference would be welcome, and if you are willing to post a link or spread the word to anyone you know who could benefit from this weekend--I would be most appreciative.Please note that we welcome widows, widowers, bereavement professionals, family members, widows who have remarried, clergy of any type, and anyone else who supports someone they love through the maze of grief.

Feel free to contact me with any questions you may have,

With warm regards,

Michele

Michele Neff Hernandez

Executive Director

Soaring Spirits Loss Foundation

2828 Cochran St. #194

Simi Valley, Ca 93065

Archived