Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

• Members

I'm very new to this website and I wanted to share my story, even though I know not many will read it. I'm a senior in high school (I turned 17 in June) and I like to write about my experiences with things. Its how I cope when I feel upset. I wrote about my mom's death which happened 5 months ago (16 at the time) and how it made me emotionally feel and how it effected my family financially

When I was younger, my mom let me sleep in her bed whenever it was raining outside. Every time thunder or lightning struck, I hid under the covers. Laughing, she would join me and comfort me with a warm hug and smile. I'd cuddle up with her and we'd be fast asleep, the rain being drowned out by our heavy breathing. Now, during the rainy weather, the only thing I have left is her blanket. I try to curl up with it to keep warm, but the newer memories triggered by the rain made me cold and upset. As I saw a flash of lightning, it took me back to the day we parted for good. I remember touching her cold, clammy, stiff hands hours after she passed. I remember her funeral, I put a rose under her hands and I broke down completely. I remember the burial, it was raining and my siblings and I had front row tickets to watch her get lowered underneath the earth forever. That was the first time I saw my dad cry and from that moment, I knew she was gone for good. I snap out of my vision, not sure if I was drowning in tears or rain drops, and made an attempt close the window. Wiping my face, I head into kitchen looking for a midnight snack. I look through the cabinets and the fridge and both were pretty much empty. I sigh as my stomach growled and a raindrop fell on my head. Looking up, only to get hit with another raindrop, I see another hole in the ceiling forming next to the first one. Trying to step around the puddles, I accidently knock over the bucket the water was holding. I rush to get towels out the bathroom. In the bathroom, a piece of the ceiling was covered with Styrofoam and water was dripping from it, making the corner of the room just as wet as the kitchen. After putting towels in all the wet places in the house, I go back into the bathroom to wash my hands. I open the cabinet underneath the sink and realize the bucket that held the sink water was full, and I try to dump it and end up spilling water all over the floor. After cleaning up that mess, I head towards the basement to check on my dog. I pull the doorknob and it falls out with no force. Grabbing the top lock of the door with one hand and putting the knob in place with the other, I crack open the door. I peak down there to see my damp dog cheerfully wag her tail and the floor was damp. Closing the door, I crawl back into bed on the verge of tears. I curl up into a ball and shiver, jumping at the sound of thunder and hide underneath my moms blanket. I smell her scent and it relieves me even though she's not here with me.

Archived