Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Nenita189

• Members

Almost 3 weeks ago I lost my best friend, my soulmate to suicide. My boyfriend was a young 26 year old veteran, who served in the ARMY and deployed to Afghanistan for a year. I met him earlier this year. He was not my type I stayed away but eventually his big smile, kind heart, hardworking, happy self swept me off my feet. We started dating, spending every day every moment together, and eventually got to talking about kids and marriage. I started noticing his PTSD as the time passed. He would get startled and get jumpy, especially as he slept. He was also having issues with his mom and sister. They never supported him while he was overseeas and left him alone, when he needed them the most. On his own he came back from Afghan, started his career as a correctional officer, got promoted within a year, and bought his first home. I told him every day how proud I was. He had days where he was down and sad about his mom and sister, he'd cry to me to never leave him. I adviced him to talk to a counselor because I knew this depression state was getting to him and it was affecting his health. The day he passed he left work early because he wasnt feeling well, we went to urgent care where they prescribed him anti deprssants. I lfet his house devastated, he told me not to leave but I didnt want him to see me so broken. After not hearing from him I went back to his house where I found him. He had taken all of his medication and shot himself. You can see why I feel guilt. These days without him have been the hardest. Finding out he had bought our engagement ring breaks my heart, my future was all in him, us together and now hes gone. Although I know hes no longer suffering im left with so many unanswered questions. I miss him more and more everyday.

• Members

Damn this pisses me off!!!!  So many young men and women have been scarred so deeply by this crap going on in the Middle East.  I am so incredibly sorry honey that your man could not deal with the demons that were haunting him.  So many of these kids come home with PTSD and I sure don't blame them!!  I myself have PTSD from an office shooting.  I imagine war is far worse.

I thank your guy for his service.  He is a hero.  And I'm so sorry that you lost him.  They should screen everyone coming home for PTSD because there are far far too many.

God Bless you sweetie.  I will keep you in my prayers.

• Members
heartbroken0815

I recently lost my husband due to an accidental overdose. He had been suffering from PTSD since he returned home from Iraq in 2009. I feel the same guilt you are feeling. I should have been there to help him, I shouldn't have made him tell his "friends" to leave. I honestly have no idea how to live life anymore. I want the days to fly by so I can see him again.

Archived