Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Ending life support; T-minus 3 days

Numb321

• Members

My mother has had a lot of health issues, but the most recent was a horrible stroke. Unable to eat, talk, move, communicate and doctors say she probably never will. The rest of her existence would be with very little, if any improvement, and just waiting to have another stroke, which is inevitable, unit she eventually has one that takes her life. Seems like the decision to end life support should be easy. But she is alert and can you look you in the eye....breaks my heart. We know she is suffering and want to end that for her. But now the wait begins; the countdown. Monday my mother will die. Is it a blessing or a curse to know this? I think, maybe it will be a little easier because she has been in the hospital unable to speak for 6 weeks now. So I already have gone that long without talking to her. I know that isn't the case though. No matter what, it is going to hurt; a pain I have never known before. Trying to prepare myself to see her last breath is something I never thought I would have to do. I have a new baby, my first, and I have to also cope with him never knowing her and she not being there for all the big milestones, or even to call for a simple "new mom" question. Then to top it off, I am worrying about my father non stop. I would not wish what my mom, myself, and family have been going through the last 6 weeks on my worst enemy.

• Members
maggiemagpie

Hello, I feel your pain.  At the age of 15 I was part of a group family decision to end my little brothers life (age 10), and christmas 2013 found myself in the worst position of just finding and marrying my soul mate (3years) only to have to make the decision again this time I couldnt do it we couldnt do it and I suffered beside him for an extra 2 weeks because we could handle the pain of cancer more than the separation.  It is not right to be in this position and I feel sad for you.  life can be so cruel,  I am so glad you have a new baby,  I know from your post your son will grow up knowing exactly what your mum was like.  My childeren know who their uncle was. 

Archived