Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of young brother suddenly

hissister

• Members

On Friday, my youngest brother died in a motorcycle accident. His death was instant and hopefully painless, when he hit a car that turned suddenly in front of him. Although he had a helmet on, he died on impact. He was 23 years old and the youngest of 5. We had recently connected in the last few years after a messy divorce and custody battle between his dad and my mom. Sadly, the last time I physically saw him was when he was 3 years old. During our re-connection, we talked frequently and "saw" each others photos and activities on Facebook. Although I am so blessed to have reconnected, I am so sad we never got to have that last hug. 

I am absolutely brokenhearted. I cry and cry then I will be fine for a few minutes, then cry some more. I have no appetite and when I do eat I feel sick to my stomach. I talk with my other siblings about it but I don't feel they want to listen to me because they are grieving too. My husband doesn't understand and doesn't seem interested when I want to talk because he feels uncomfortable. I have a young child and I don't want to cry in front of him because he is too little to understand. I am so very sad inside. 

I am going to call a Therapist on Monday to see if I can go talk to someone. In the mean time, I am thinking of positive things I can do to honor my brother. I was thinking of a setting up a scholarship fund at his high school or making a charitable donation in his name.

• Members

Hissister, 

I am so sorry for your loss. That is a wonderful idea to honor your brother by setting up a scholarship so others can benefit through him. Regardless of when you actually saw him in person, he is still your brother and you had a connection. It's okay to feel sad, and I am sorry your husband doesn't understand. Has he ever lost anyone precious to him? Please continue to talk to your other siblings. What about your parents? How are they doing? 

We will be here to listen and support you,

ModKonnie

• Members

Hissister I am so sorry  for your loss I lost. My older brother when I was 12 He died in a car accident when he was 18 on his way to work. I understand all those feeling you are having I still have a lot of them and has been almost eight years since his accident in novmber of 2006  I  felt like had be strong for my mom and dad and my siblings because they were all young It is hard for other people to understand unless they has gone throught it themselves when come to lossing a sibling. I often  felt like I  was alone because no around understood what is was like to lose sibling. All I can say is take one day at time it get easier but  the pain and heart ache is alway gonna be there because it like a part of you is missing.

• Members

Thank you both so much for the support. 

Time will help heal. I just miss him. 

Archived