Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Oral surgeon/Anesthesia killed my sister

flwrjunke

• Members

Hi, On May 2, 2014, my sister went to her Oral surgeons office for the 1st procedure of 3 to get dental implants. While there, her oxygenation level dropped twice. Both times it happened, they stopped working and her levels went back up. Then it happened for a 3rd time and she went in to anaphylactic shock and cardiac arrest.

She was transported to a hospital where they resuscitated her. After about 5 minutes, she coded again and they were able to resuscitate her again. She is my only sister and she was 56 years old. She is married and has a 21 year old in college.

From that point, the doctors were not optimistic at all. They said she went to long with out oxygen. She didn't wake within the 1st 48 hours. Not a good sign. Then they said to give it another 3 - 5 days. While we waited for her to wake, she was finally stable enough to move. They took her for a CT scan and the news was devastating. Her prognosis was "persistent vegetative state," with NO chance of recovery. She passed away on May 23rd.    

I've managed to handled all of the details in regards to her service and burial. But then the coroners office got involved since it was a death of "unusual circumstances." So now we wait. We are now waiting on the coroner to determine cause of death. Then we will be able to bury her.

I will say, I can't wait to get my hands on the coroners report.  

I still struggle to believe that any of this has happened!  I miss her so much!

flwrjunke

• Members

Oh flwrjunke, I am so, so sorry :(

Just the fear and craziness in the last few weeks of her life and the terrible, terrible result, I can absolutely imagine your struggle to believe that it is all real.

I will say that, even though it has delayed your services (and I'm sorry for that), it is good that a coroner stepped in.  The loss of your sister is indescribable and if the coroner's report and possible inquiry afterward can prevent this from ever happening again, then hopefully that will be of some help in allowing or understanding this postponement.

This is still so new for you.  My sister died without warning and the shock and disbelief were something I had never experienced before... on the one-hand feeling an intense pain because a part of you allows you to know it's real and, on the other, locked in some state of shaking your head or rubbing your forehead until it's sore because you just can't make it out... you just can't seem to fathom what's going on here.

Gather your family close, if you can.  Help each other through this first part together, if you can.  This tearing of our soul is bad enough when we lose someone to an expected sickness but the shock of the world changing so fast and the sudden loss of this important part of ourselves needs great tenderness from us.

I will be thinking of you and your family in the coming days.

<3

• Members

My condolences to you for the loss of your sister. I just lost my brother on Friday to a motorcycle accident. 

I believe we all look for as many answers as we can during this difficult time. For you, the report will help you with your healing. For me, I've already sent off for the official police report on the accident. I also believe that time will heal, it may be a very long time, but it will get better. 

I too and in shock that any of this has happened and really am sad inside. Then I think of my brother and his kind soul and he wouldn't want me to be sad. I'm sure your sister would feel the same for you. 

My best to you and your family.

Archived