Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Confused and never felt so lost.

rachellesarah

• Members
rachellesarah

Hey ...

I feel a little pathetic posting my problem after reading some of the tragedies some of you have faced with recent deaths.

However, i lost my dad in a sudden motorcycle accident when i was two years old. I have no memories of my dad just seen photos. 

Im now 20 years old and all of a sudden the realisation that i don't or never will have a dad has hit me. 

I find myself getting clingy with boys and it must be because all i want is that male attention. I feel like a part of me is missing. 

Im not like my mum or brother I'm apparently very much like my dad looks wise and personality. 

I just sometimes feel like i don't belong anywhere. 

My anger is getting out of hand as well and I'm not even a angry person. 

As I'm getting older I'm realising how much I'm missing out on. It literally breaks my heart to know when i get married i won't have my dad walk me down the aisle. 

Has anyone else lost a dad when they were young and struggling to come to terms with it as they have got older? 

• Members

Hi Rachellesarah,

I am sorry you are struggling at this point in your life with this. Have you considered talking to a professional therapist who may be able to guide you? I know many people who grew up without their fathers struggle with this. . When you are angry, do you remember the kinds of things you are thinking? Are you angry that others have their fathers? Are your relationships with men what you would consider healthy--in that you find support and encouragement and respect?

We will be here to support and encourage you,

ModKonnie

• Members

Hi RachelleSarah,

My niece has a similar story to yours, even though she´s only 9 years younger then me, she also lost her dad when she was 2 and only went through grief a few years later, she´s 21 now and I believe she still has some frustrations regarding not having a father. I remember that she had it worst when she was 6/7, she was having problems at school, and being bullied, so my sister took her to a therapist and at that time she was grieving hard her father´s passing...

Don´t feel bad or pathetic to post anything here, losing a parent is awful no matter how or how long, you have evry right to feel the way you do.

Growing up we usually have 2 role models and you were deprived of that and now it´s starting to come out.

Try to keep a journal to your dad, write to him about yourself and what you´d want for him to do, it can help you letting some of the feelings out. If you´re finding it hard dealing with it, you can also look for a therapist, but you never come to terms, you learn to live without.

Hang in there and we´ll be here for you everytime you´ll need to vent or just talk

Archived