Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of younger brother

Delzp18

• Members

Hello

Just over 7 weeks ago I lost my brother who was 23 years old he was killed by a taxi coming home from a night out I am completely devastated I can't believe he has gone growing up we were opposites I was always the outgoing one Ross was always the quiet intelligent one who preferred to stay in and play on his x box. He rarely went out and this is what devastates me more as I know people out there will be thinking aw he was drink but so was every other 23 year old out that night on a Saturday night he was out watching the football with friends. I feel so much anger and I still cry a lot although I do keep it held in for the sake off my mum and dad as they are devastated. How do we er move on from. This wen the policeman came to the door at 6am to tell us that devastating news I wanted it to be the wrong person and I wanted Ross to be ok and in his bed but he wasn't and in fact it was him as we went to the hospital to identify him this has never happend in our family and only ever happend in TV programmes not to our happy family . Everyone has been affected from this and I just don't know how go on images haunt me from that night thinking of how he was killed was he in pain I just wish there was something they could have done to save him I don't believe there is a god up there or else this wouldn't have happend he had just finished university and had his driving test which he so wanted and a holiday to Las Vegas that he didn't get to go on I am utterly devastated and have nightmares about that night waking up at 6am everyday the time we got the devastating news I don't know anyone else in this situation so would like to talk to others who have been in this situation or going through like myself x

• Members
Missing Doug

I'm so sorry for your loss. My brother died a few weeks after yours did. The cause isn't entirely clear yet, but like you, I obsess over how it must have happened, along with lots of other things. It's always in my mind, even when I'm keeping busy. My brother was older than yours - 35 - and had struggled with addiction, so the idea of him dying wasn't foreign, we'd talked about it even. That doesn't make it easier, it might make it harder, but I imagine that a loss like yours must be even more shocking, especially at such a young age. It's heartbreaking that his life was cut short at a moment that held so much promise. My brother had seemed, after years of struggle, to have pieced his life back together, so we too looked forward and thought we had many good years ahead of us. It's so hard to fathom this shift in reality. Nobody knows your life better than a sibling near your age -- I feel like a huge piece of me is gone. I'm sorry this post isn't more helpful -- seems like most of what I read here is wiser and more advisory. I will say this. The fact that your brother had been drinking that night doesn't matter, doesn't define him or lessen your loss or make it any less tragic. I know it's hard -- for me I think the grief has made me more sensitive and self-critical -- but it doesn't matter what people think, and most peoplle are less judgmental than we probably think. I keep hearing to take care of myself, and think that's good advice, too.

• Members
Kirsten.story

My brother was 14 and was killed when a firework misfired on the 4th of July. I'm also having a hard time believing in god. I prayed to him I begged not my baby brother. If they is a god why would he take such an innocent loving person? Why do rapist and murders live and he has to go? He was to young. He didn't deserve this at all. I miss him so much.

Archived