Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Recently lost terminally ill friend & grandfather within a week of one another

notalicenotley78

• Members
notalicenotley78

Hi All,

I recently lost my grandfather (in his 80s) and a terminally ill friend (who had just found out it was terminal over 5 weeks ago) a week apart from one another. Prior to this I lost two friends (one a former boyfriend); this was over ten years ago. Those deaths happened about a month apart (both were sudden and drug related, which was shocking). I just recently kind of had my peace with losing them. And now this happens. I know it's an ebb and flow of life. Things happen in threes or all at once, etc.  I am finding it hard to come to work and smile. I am doing fairly alright. It's just hard to pretend at times. That's why I figured I should join this site or a local support group. Any suggestions or insight welcomed. Thank you for having me and having this available site to folks!

Best,

B

• Members

Hi B,

Welcome to the forum.

I'm sorry about the losses you've experienced :( 

One of the things that I'm trying to embody in this lifetime is that the grieving process is natural and that people - most specifically people who aren't grieving - have the opportunity to learn how to deal with our pain.  In other words, I don't think you should pretend.  I don't think that you should smile when you don't feel like it.  So many people out there spout the phrase, "death is part of life".  It is true, but so is the grieving process and we cannot be a healthy society if we're expected to accept one but not the other.

It's perfectly natural that you're searching for answers and support, you've dealt with much.  Hopefully, being on this site will help you to find some of them within yourself, and also see that anything you are feeling now is perfectly normal.

As normal as we can be :wacko:

<3

Archived