Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

2yr anniversary coming

mhill49

• Members

On October 30th it will two years of the death of my daughter Nicole. She died in an apartment fire. She was handicapped, born with Spina Bifida. She was 23yrs old. Nicole had worked so hard to get out on her own. She was so proud of herself and so were we, proud of her.  She was in her apartment for 6 weeks before the fire occured.  She had a personal care attendant that came during the day and then we would stay over 4 or 5 nites a week. She wanted to try and spend a couple of nites by herself. This one nite is  a nite she wanted to be by herself. I talked to her at 7pm. Told her how much I loved her and I would see her in the morning.  At 5 am the police came to our door to tell us there was a fire and Nicole didn't make it!

..........After investigating (with our own investigator) we found out that my daughters wheelchair was the cause of the fire. She was in the wheelchair calling 911. She didn't know at first that it was her chair. It was 2 am when it all happened. The smoke detectors went off. She went out to see what was going on and realized it was her chair.  My baby burned to death, her nightgown caught fire. she even got out of her chair onto the floor but her nitegown was already on fire.  This has been so difficult for me to deal with. That my baby girl was on fire she was so helpless.  it really angers me. 

The state police concluded it was a candle that caused the fire. But we found out different.  My daughters wheelchair had just came backfrom being serviced. It had been smoking 3 weeks prior to the fire.  It came back on a Friday the fire was Sunday.  I still have anger towards the state police for coming to a conclusion in 2 hours after the fire and not really take time to really investigate.

I still have nightmares about her burning in the fire.  The dispatcher was still on the phone with Nicole when she died too. I can't imagine her pain too. I got to meet her and thanked her for being there for my daughter. 

I really don't like halloween anymore because of this now.  Nicole had all her halloween candy ready for trick or treat. She also was working at a preschool and she had her costume ready for the party they were suppose to have on that monday the 30th. 

I really miss her so much.  She was my life. Everyday I had something to do for her......to have her gone, I am lost with out her.

still much grief.......................Michelle

• Members

Dear Michelle

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved Nicole. How tragic it was. I am sorry for the saddness of the upcoming date for you-you have been through so much. I am so sorry you have had to go through so much with the tragedy along with losing your girl.

It sounds like Nicole was quite a go getter and did not let her health get in the way of her going out and helping others and being a part of life. You must be so proud of all she accomplished. Feel free to come to the loss of an adult child forum. We all have lost our beloved older children and help each other so much through all the difficult times. I don't know what I would do with our all the out pouring of love and support I find there. There are many incredible people here. Take care and know I am thinking of you and that I understand. I lost my son in a motorcycle accident 18 months ago. Feels both like yesterday and forever ago.

Hope you tell us more about Nicole, She sounds like an amazing girl.

Hugs to you,

Kay

Archived