Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I lost my father on 03/17/2014

mbal41

• Members

My father died in his sleep on St Patrick's Day. There was no warning- he hadn't been sick or anything. It was a complete shock and I'm still finding it so hard to deal with. My sister-in-law gave birth to a boy a week after he died who was named for my dad. It kills me that I can't talk to him about his new grandchild. I'm so heartbroken I don't know where to start to deal with the loss. When does this get easier? It's hard to function normally these days.

• Members

Hi mbal41,

Really sorry for your loss.

It´s hard to answer your question, I think it really varies from person to person, some have some "fine" hours and then some bad hours, others are sad for longer periods and then rise above for a while...

It´s not important or healthy to put our grief on a schedule, it will get easier when it´s supposed to, but your loss is very recent. Looking back now I can´t really remember with details that period, it´s all a big blur. I do remember the raw pain I felt, getting home from work and getting on my bed feeling a huge void inside of me, the worst pain I have ever felt. As time went by, the pain gets more tolerable even though there are times when it seems all fresh again, but somehow you get through it.

Talking about how you feel helps, you need to try and do things that give you pleasure to give yourself a break from time to time.

Hang in there and feel free to text me, if you need to vent. A big hug

• Members
Ouch and confused

Hi mbal41,

Really sorry for your loss.

It´s hard to answer your question, I think it really varies from person to person, some have some "fine" hours and then some bad hours, others are sad for longer periods and then rise above for a while...

It´s not important or healthy to put our grief on a schedule, it will get easier when it´s supposed to, but your loss is very recent. Looking back now I can´t really remember with details that period, it´s all a big blur. I do remember the raw pain I felt, getting home from work and getting on my bed feeling a huge void inside of me, the worst pain I have ever felt. As time went by, the pain gets more tolerable even though there are times when it seems all fresh again, but somehow you get through it.

Talking about how you feel helps, you need to try and do things that give you pleasure to give yourself a break from time to time.

Hang in there and feel free to text me, if you need to vent. A big hug

Good post.  I do not have much to add.  Hang in there man.  It is rough.  I'm still dealing with this stuff some 27 years later even.  I don't think either is easier, but the sudden loss always leaves so many questions about what if.   All the best. 

• Members

Allow yourself to grieve and let your emotion out. Treasure and take better care of love ones around you. Life is too short to realized that u should spend more time with the parents until one day they're not here. Am still trying to understand why my dad suddenly gone forever. This is the fourth month now and I missed him a lot. Sorry for your loss and take care

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Members

Thank you all so much for your support. I am still in denial a bit. My father and I lived in different parts of the country so we only got to see each other maybe once a year. I talked and texted with him several times a week. We were texting each other the night before he died. I can't help but feel guilty that I didn't talk to him or Skype with him more often. I'm trying to keep myself busy so I don't think about him but every so often I break down. Thanks again for the support. This is a difficult thing to get through.

Archived