Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Sick Cat Put Down (Pet Loss x 2)

AdyMiles

• Members

Hi, my name's Ady,

About 11 1/2 years ago, my cat Charlie's only remaining kitten Hope was knocked down and put down at an animal hospital before I could get to her. She was a gorgeous cat and only six months old.

I got a rescue cat to take the place of Hope and after a week or so, she got on fine with Charlie. They'd even cuddle up together sometimes!

Well, a few months ago, Sophie began to overgroom herself, then about three weeks ago, she started climbing onto my lap about 12 times a day (she'd normally do this about twice a day.) She was also coughing up hair and mucus, but I just put this down to her overgrooming. Just under three weeks ago, she began weeing on my bed (I thought it was the visiting stray cat doing it.) She did this three times. The next time, she wee'd on some bedding on my bedroom floor, just as I was about to go to sleep. I got really angry with her and picked her up by the scruff of the neck and shouted at her. She always went outside to do stuff, even in really cold and snowy weather. I now cry at how I did that to her. A few days later, she wee'd right in front of me over loads of my clothes on the floor and then I realised she was very ill. That night she curled up at the top of the stairs and didn't move or go outside for three days. She barely ate anything and didn't even drink much. By last Thursday, after three visits to the vets over the past two weeks, and a final diagnosis that she had kidney failure, she was very weak and looked like she was in discomfort and pain. She wouldn't eat or drink anything, except some natural yoghurt off my finger. That evening I decided she had to be put down within two days, so on Friday I got her put down at the PDSA in Wolverhampton.

The thing is, I live alone, suffer from Bi-Polar Disorder, am at home most of the time (unemployed) and my cats are like children to me. I miss her little ways so much. Charlie also wonders where she is. I am under so much stress and I am crying so much and having nightmares. Hardly anyone understands what I am going through and very few offer any comfort and sympathy, let alone empathy.

She's the younger black and white tuxedo cat in the photo below...

post-392609-0-45466300-1395923910_thumb.

• Members
Steve s mom

I know how you feel ady ,sorry for your loss .pets are like family members and many people do not recognize the strong bonds we have

• Members

hardly anyone understands what we are going through.  I understand what you are going through, its very painful and hard to believe that our beloved best friend isn't there.   I lost my 23 yr old kiki cat march 3rd, I am having anxiety and cry constantly, i think the only people that understand our grief for animals are others who have been through what we are going through.

I come here and rainbow bridge another grieving pet website for my support,   it helps at times but I still cry all the time and cannot believe that my kiki is not here anymore, she was my best friend, i was excited to always see her and she was also excited to see me, i feel so lonely and lost without her and i find it hard to believe that she is not here anymore.

we are hear to listen and if you ever need to talk

• Members

thanks very much, Steve and Kathy.

wow, your cat was very old, Kathy. she had a good, long, happy life with you!

• Members
nammi_nammi

I'm so sorry about the loss of your cat.  It's so hard when we lose our precious pets.  I'm alone all day and know the space our cats fill.  I lost all mine December 3rd because of a house fire, and things feel so empty and quiet now when I'm alone.  Before it didn't bother me at all.  As long as I had my cats I felt everything would be okay no matter what.  It's the first time in 25 years I've not had a cat to take care of, too.  I kind of felt that was my purpose in life, and my days revolved around my pets.  I loved looking in the pet section of stores.  Now there's just no reason to.  It feels strange.  I have 2 cats waiting on me for when we get into our new home, and I can't wait.  Will be so nice again, but of course won't be the ones I lost.  My thoughts are with you as you go through this.  It's hard, but there's no escape from it.  Allow yourself to feel what you do.  Don't hold your tears in - that just makes things worse.  And know that we're all here for you whenever you need us.   

• Members

i read about your terrible tragedy, nammi and i didn't know what to say. your heart must've been broken in two. please don't blame yourself though.

• Members
nammi_nammi

Thanks Ady.  Life sure knows how to throw you for a loop sometimes, that's for sure!!  Never would've dreamed this ever would've happened...  Still seems unreal sometimes.  My grief is kind of intertwined with bad anxiety as we wait on our double-wide to get done.  Seems if I'm not feeling depressed and crying, I'm anxious and on the verge of a panic attack.  It really has truly been a nightmare, and I just want to get in my house and try to carry on with my life and allow the grief to come.   

• Members

Ady

Yes kiki had a long happy life of 23 yrs and by reading all the forums and asking others I haven't come across anyone with a cat that lived to be as old as kiki was, I am very lucky to have had kiki come into my life.

I do understand your pain though ady, a lot of people don't get it but some of us do.. 

ady allow yourself to grieve, don't worry about what others will think and when you need someone to talk to go to the ones that will listen and understand what you are going through.

kathy

• Members

Nammi, three months or less is usually the most difficult period. I can only imagine your suffering and sense of loss. The pain and sadness never fully goes, but it does get easier as time goes by. Getting new pets is a good idea. ((hugs))

• Members
nammi_nammi

Thanks for the kind words Ady.  It is really hard.  My grief book says the third month is usually the toughest because it feels as if the bottom dropped out of the bucket.  It has truly been a really rough month for me.  Unfortunately I can't get my cats til we're in our home, and that's just dragging...  =/

• Members

I can't get my replacement cat until I get back from Holland, so not until 28th April at the earliest. Charlie misses Sophie, but not as much as I do!

• Members
nammi_nammi

Wow - sounds as if you have a long time to wait, too...  It's hard, I know.  I've been given the number of the girl I'm getting one cat from - she wants me to call her when I'm ready for it, so she can bring it to me, but I just don't know when that will be yet.  We keep being told things will be done by the pre-fab house company, and then they aren't.  Weather delays - rain Thursday, Friday, Monday, so I know those days are out for sure.  I've heard "tomorrow" yesterday and again today after hearing "Monday" last Thursday.  So I don't know.  I'm going crazy with all this.  One of my cats was named Sophie, too.  She was a Russian blue with large green eyes.  I miss her like mad.  She sat with me every day during my reading time...  =( 

Archived