Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Loss of military friend

Blastyblast

• Members

My childhood friend was KIA in Afghanistan in September 2013. He was a Ranger and was the guy that always came home. He had been on many combat deployments prior to this and had many stories to tell. He was KIA while training an Afghan soldier that decided to open small arm fire on him and 2 other special forces troops.

I am stationed at Dover AFB with my AD husband. We were able to attend our friends' dignified transfer and it was surreal. He had a fiancé and a close knit family that he left behind. I cry everyday and cannot stop thinking about him. I feel like I shouldn't be so upset because I'm not his fiancé, sister, mother, etc.

Has anyone else dealt with this situation that can help/give me insight?

• Members

I haven't dealt with this situation, but I understand how upset you are. You have every right to be upset over such a horrible situation. My son is in the military, and I live in fear of this type of horror. My heart twists in knots when I hear these stories.

Talking about how you feel will help you process it. Perhaps your husband or a support group on the base will help.

ModKonnie

Archived