Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Grieving books

terri251

• Members

I think I might be ready to start reading a little on grief.  Has anyone heard or read the book called Back to Life Your Personal Guide Book to Grief Recovery by: Jennie Wright?

Is there any book you would recommend that has helped you?

• Members

These two have been the most useful to me out of several books I bought or borrowed. Both should be available from Amazon.

- Elizabeth Harper Neeld, Ph.D.: "Seven Choices: Finding daylight after loss shatters your world"

The author uses her own and others' experiences in suggesting choices connected with seven stages following a loss. (These are not the Kübler-Ross stages of grief.)

- Kathy and Amy Eldon, "Angel Catcher: A journal of loss and remembrance"

A scrapbook-style journal with phrases as headings intended to trigger thoughts and memories. Has room for photos and clippings.The book is beautifully designed, with sturdy pages that will stand up to much wear.

• Members

I just finished reading "Confessions of a Mediocre Widow" which someone else on this site has recommended several times. I wasn't crazy about the first few chapters but some of the book is really great. The author is a really good writer and she writes with a bit of humor.

• Members

Carol Staudacher, "A Time to Grieve: Meditations for healing after the death of a loved one"

This is a collection of quotes from survivors, usually one per page, with relevant classic quotations and the author's comments.

They can be read in any order.

Most comments I've read are excellent; and even if they don't fit, they can stimulate insights that do fit.

• Members

Here is another book to add to the list:  "Surviving Grief... and Learning to Live Again" by Dr. Catherine M. Sanders. 

I was searching for grief books from my library and picked it just because of the title.  Now that I've read most of it, I've found it to be very helpful in understanding what I'm going through and what to expect ahead of me.  I think right now I'm mainly in the second phase with still some overlap from the first and maybe parts of the third.

She talks about stages of grief, but not the Kübler-Ross ones.  This author breaks it down as 1)  Shock, 2) Awareness of Loss, 3) Conservation and the Need to Withdraw, 4) Healing--the Turning Point, and 5) Renewal.  For each phase she gives suggestions for working through it and then there are also chapters for specific types of losses (I skipped the ones for losing a child or a parent and just read the one for losing a spouse). 

• Members
southernyankee

I found "Healing After Loss"  Daily Meditations of Working Through Grief by Martha Whitmore Hickman to be very helpful. Each day of the year has it's own message and I went through the book for several years after my loss. Highly Recommended. 

• Members

I am reading "About Grief: Insights, setbacks, grace notes, taboos" by Ron Marasco and Brian Shuff

I can relate to a lot of what they say and is helping me validate my grief.

• Members

I just finished reading Widow to Widow: Thoughtful, Practical Ideas for Rebuilding Your Life by Genevieve Davis Ginsberg, M.S.  If you are in the early part of your grief (the fog, numbness, shock, etc.) you may not be ready to start reading this one.

However, I highly recommend this book for anyone who is at the point where they are trying to sort through their emotions (anger, guilt, etc.), starting to think about the "now what" things like making decision, sorting through your spouse's things, or generally just trying to make it through life on your own two feet.  Later sections of the book talk about holiday seasons, making your own life, traveling alone, dating, and sex.

• Members
odetoanoddity

I've currently borrowed three books on grieving from my local library.

They are:

1) Towards the light: Growing through Grief by Michael Metzger

2) On Grief and Grieving: Finding the Meaning of Grief through the five stages of loss by Elizabeth Kübler-Ross and David Kessler

and 3) Grieving for Dummies by Greg Harvey (at first, I was a bit offended by the title, but the contents has actually been helpful).

Archived