Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Online memorials

odetoanoddity

• Members
odetoanoddity

Has anyone made an online memorial for their loved one? If so, what site(s) did you use? I recently made one for my boyfriend on muchloved.com - it was completely free, which was a first based on the other sites I looked at.

The memorial site has brought comfort for me, I've been able to adjust the site template based on the theme: blue and water (michael's favourite colour was blue and he was a water sign), I've been able to add his favourite music and the site allows you to light a candle, so I've been lighting a candle for him everyday. It's become a sacred virtual space, it's private (only I can view it, his friends and family have his facebook and obituary page to remember him anyway) and I just wanted a place where I could go to and watch his slideshow of pictures with his music in the background and just grieve...

There are many features you can add, like a timeline, a journal, the choice of adding videos and writing your loved one's life story. You can make it private or public to share with friends and family.

I think Michael would've liked the memorial, it's simple with no embellishments, which I know is not his style.

---

What about you? Would you make a memorial or have you already? What were your experiences?

• Guests
Guest Kirbibizzle

I have also used muchloved.com to create a memorial to my dad. I put up a few pictures of him which make me cry just from the sight of him. I used the timeline feature to describe all of his jobs and education, and I've actually got some comments from some of his old work buddies with the California Horse Racing Board who are saddened by his passing. Even though he hadn't worked there in over 7 years, he left a lasting impression and that really meant a lot to me to see.

I didn't really know you could do much more than add pictures and some stories. I actually didn't know that you could customize it at all until I read your post which was actually very informative! Thank you for this, odetoanoddity!

My dad too liked things very simple, so that is how I was planning on keeping his page. His day pretty much consisted of him waking up, reading every possible internet news story and headline he could find, eating food, watching tv, and then going to sleep and doing it all over again the next day. He was such an easy going and cheerful person. I am glad he got to spend the years after he retired to actually do what made him happy.

I am not sure if they have the internet in Heaven or not, but I think I may start using my dad's page to write to him.

• Members
odetoanoddity

I have also used muchloved.com to create a memorial to my dad. I put up a few pictures of him which make me cry just from the sight of him. I used the timeline feature to describe all of his jobs and education, and I've actually got some comments from some of his old work buddies with the California Horse Racing Board who are saddened by his passing. Even though he hadn't worked there in over 7 years, he left a lasting impression and that really meant a lot to me to see.

I didn't really know you could do much more than add pictures and some stories. I actually didn't know that you could customize it at all until I read your post which was actually very informative! Thank you for this, odetoanoddity!

My dad too liked things very simple, so that is how I was planning on keeping his page. His day pretty much consisted of him waking up, reading every possible internet news story and headline he could find, eating food, watching tv, and then going to sleep and doing it all over again the next day. He was such an easy going and cheerful person. I am glad he got to spend the years after he retired to actually do what made him happy.

I am not sure if they have the internet in Heaven or not, but I think I may start using my dad's page to write to him.

You're very much welcome Kirbiboh ! :) I'm sure your father would be proud of you for using the memorial to document and celebrate his life and share the memorial amongst friends and family! I also believe, that just like my boyfriend, your father is aware that you've written to him! Heaven doesn't need an Internet connection, communication is instantaneous ! It's something I believe anyway, whenever I write to my boyfriend in my journal, I always feel like he's read everything I've said, even before I've said it...

Archived