Top Posters In This Topic

• alwaysmyjennifer

• swede1

• daughterrachael

• Kelly

Top Posters In This Topic

• Members
alwaysmyjennifer

Hi Rachael. My wife is in cardiac unit of the hospital. The dystrophy is now in her heart. Serious stuff. Thank you for writing. Take the day, the moment, and see the beauty in all of it. Take care of you. You're one of a kind.

• Members
alwaysmyjennifer

Clittlelady, thank you so much for your thoughtfulness. It is so well appreciated. I hope all is well with you, at least as much as we can be in our sorrow. May peace be yours.

• Members

I lost both my parents within a few months and feel a lot of guilt. My father was ill for two years and I became the trusted one in the family to be there and offer care and help with his ilness and personal affairs. I see now that instead of being emotionally present , especially for my mother, I let bitterness keep me focussed on how difficient my sister, her husband and children were. I had spent years being viewed as the blacksheep and I used my new role as a way to vent all my hatred and frustration. As a result I wasted a lot of precious time I could have used to uplift my parents and let them know the family loved and supported them. My mother had health issues herself and when Dad died it became apparent that she had been in some kind of la la land of denial. I brought her from florida to va. hoping her health would improve and allow her to grieve, but it was a constant battle with her stubburn determination not to take care of herself in a realistic way. I told her how much I loved her all the time and nearly killed myself between emrgency room visits and hospital stays. She focussed so much on her dog, which made her fall several times and refused to see that it was a danger to her and a huge stress on the rest of us that had to keep things going, praying that there would not be another fall should we dare to blink. It may be that mom died of a broken heart but I feel responsible for not giving her the presence of upliftment ,free of gossip and ill will. Now my heart is broken and I also feel shamed. I must have been in la la land myself not to see how my bitterness dragged my parents down. Instead , I gave my ego a false sense of superiority and did'nt give the the best or most loving care I could. I don't feel forgiveness nor do I think I deserve it.

• Members
alwaysmyjennifer

Wildereader, I'm so sorry you have suffered such a devastating loss, of both your parents. Perceptions play the most determining roles in how we deal with the death of our parents. You wrote you were viewed as the black sheep, and I wonder if it's the family's perception or yours, or both. This means a lot in how you handle grief. You obviously love them, and gave such care to your Mom after your Dad passed away. The most important thing to see is that you made the attempt to right things with your Mom, and to lovingly care for her. Caring for a person with a long term illness isn't easy, and I would never say you were in a "la la land" about anything from your past or how you cared for her. I see the strain in caring for my wife, who has a serious illness which can turn deadly without warning. We may say or do things that we regret, but we try to make amends, then go on. While you believe now that you wasted time in bitterness, perhaps may I ask if it was one of the things that kept your family from more difficulties? This may be something you will eventually search your heart to find, but I'm not implying you give us that answer. That is an issue for your heart. Please know that we all mess up as humans, and fail others, especially our parents. Lord knows, I have. You have done nothing that would deserve unforgiveness, but tender love from your family, and yes, forgiveness and understanding for the past perceptions. In time, as you work through this journey of grief, you will find the strength and peace to talk to your sister. Perhaps, there will be a new bond of love, stronger than ever. My thoughts and prayers are with you for all you need.

• Members

Thankyou Alwaysmyjennifer for your insights. Sometimes as you probrably know, it is hard to see past the emotional box in grief. Thankyou for the obvious thought you put into your response....I needed to hear some of the things you said. People closest to me have'nt been much help. I feel a mixture of anger and guilt towards them. I am going to share your thoughts with them. Again..thanks.

• Members
alwaysmyjennifer

Wildereader, while we experience grief, we feel many emotions, like fear, guilt, anger, sadness. May this all work out with your family. The pain of grief eases like you've taken an aspirin, and its strength fades like summer's last flower. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

• Members
butterfly10954
Hi, Swede1, I'm happy to give you a twisted giggle. I have to now tell you the bad stuff. My wife was taken to hospital last night for a possible heart attack. It looks like her dystrophy is effecting her heart. It's serious, but not quite as bad as a heart attack. I'm still a nervous wreck. I wish this miserable illness would go away! I went to my doctor, and he's all worried because the stress has my blood pressure very high. We're surviving, though. Film at 11. I hope you're well today. Take care of you, and spoil yourself a little. You deserve it. Me

My hopes and prayers are with you and your wife...Sometimes bad things happen together, and hopefully for you this will be it, your wife will be fine, but take care of yourself as well.. Cindy

• Members
butterfly10954
Wow guys WHY does family suck???? It has almost been a year and many of my family members still balme me for John's death, now they have added I have to live with myself and what I did could have done and should have done. My God are they studid or what?

As far as mothers go mine sounds like the true ICE QUEEN, I havn't spoke to her for a couple of months now since she said I need to stop crying and get over it...

I have decided to keep away from people who hurt you therefore I have a small family now and it has made the most horrible thing that can happen to us a little smoother journey.

Mark, lanvener tell me about it please. I have lavender through out my home what does it mean? Email me if you would.

My advise to all is to stay away from people who hurts you and who wants to battle, I have no more fight in me I know this...

I pray for those angry mean people I think they need it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If it wasn't for the support of my husband, counsler, friends here and with me know I would have given up not long ago, as all numbness is gone and I am so raw.

JCSmom sometimes we have to cut the ties that bind, especially if they are hurting us. It is fortunate that we can find kindness and support elsewhere if it isn't from our own family. I know what you mean, and I hope you are doing ok. Cindy

• Members
alwaysmyjennifer

Cindy, good thought. Sometimes, when we cut that cord, our family wakes up and faces their dysfunction. Maybe they even do something about it. It's not easy to rebuild a family relationship, but I'm trying it (slow process). But, like many here, I've found my "family" to be some very dear friends I hold so precious to my heart. My best to you. Mark

• Members

Cindy and Mark, I did it I cut the cord of the last family member that has created more hurt with sheep clothes on.

It has been a year since the first have left now the last two.

I feel so lonely we had a large family. I do thank God for whom I have left and my dear friends 2 I have known for over 30 years my family.

Pray for me to stay strong, not a cold heart, a warm one that still accepts love and kindness.

Lucette

• Members
alwaysmyjennifer

Lucette, I may be a million miles away, but distance is nothing to friends. I don't think you'll get cold hearted. You're too caring and good.

• Members

I hope you do not mind my writing this in several areas of your forum but I read a book recently called "Song Of Cy: Understanding Grief" and it has helped me to cope with the loss of my beautiful grand daughter Amelia.

I am a member of Whiskey Creek Press publishers, and avidly read thier romances.

However at the beginning of October I noticed a book that was non-fiction that dealt with grief. Though I have read other books dealing with grief, this one touched me personally as well as to give me guidelines and helped me to understand so much of what is going on inside of myself as well as my family.

The authors name is Katlyn Stewart. She has done an amazing job in hitting the nail on the head in helping parents,grandparents and even friends understand what happens when we grieve,

I highly recommend it and will post this in several areas in the hope that it will help just one person like it did me.

Also on the Whiskey Creek page was her web addresss- http://katlynstewart.com. If you have a chance, read this book.

Thank you,

Lilly

• Members

I am writing to you as my last resort I feel so helpless maybe someone understands this. My son was killed in February at age 19 there have been so many complications and I am tired right out. I left an abusive marriage about 5 years ago and had custody of both of my boys I looked after them all the time as my ex was more interested in running around with internet girlfriends than visiting his kids. I have paid for all of his funeral expenses as his dad refused to have any part in this and 2 days after the funeral he took one of his internet girlfriends on a holiday to mexico. As my son was only 19 there was no will but this had made things very hard as both mom and dad could apply for his assests which wasnt much not even close to the funeral bill well i fought and I won that battle and put his assests on the funeral bill. Also my son had started a job with his uncle that was on his fathers side ( this uncle and his aunt were always telling me what a jerk there brother was) they pretended to be my friend. This uncle had also confinced my son what to do with his life insuance plan as my son thought at the time it was abig joke like anything was ever going to happen to him he put his brother as beneficiary who is a minor and left it in trust to his uncle. Well now it appears that his brother does not have any right to this money but the uncle can take it when he wants. Also this relationship with the uncle,aunt and my son was deteriorating and my son was really starting to dislike them. After the funeral these people the aunt and uncle will not have anything to do with me or my other son and I just feel like who do you trust. I only want what is right and I know my son would want me and his brother happy and these people not bothering us as he always was trying to protect us. I dont know what to do anymore and these people are making my pain alot worse where is the justice in all of this wasnt losing my son enough well they could never make me hurt as bad as the night I got that phone call. Does anyone have any suggestions to not let these people bother me or my son anymore and let my other son rest in peace!

• Members
alwaysmyjennifer

Rhonda68, I am first of all sorry you are being harassed in this way when they should be supporting you in your time of loss and grief. This tells me a whole book on their characters. Unfortunately, while you know I was in foster care as a kid for several years, and I'm pretty much a ghetto kid (this was so I could have people who care about me), I came from a wealthy family, who got their _______ money the wrong way. For my own personal peace, my choice was to live in my way, and stay away from their money. This may not be the proper choice for you, because this money is yours, your son's, not theirs. Even though money is placed legally in trust to an adult, that adult is compelled by law to ensure that all (100%) of that money is used for the minor intended in the trust. If your son's uncle tries to use this money for himself, you may, depending on your state laws, be entitled to sue him or have him convicted of embezzlement. This is stressful, I know. I'm sorry I can sometimes talk like a street wise punk, but I am concerned for you and your son. Take a little time, and check into these laws, just to see if you have recourse in this instance. I'm not saying they are using the money yet, and you haven't either, but it's like they are holding it over your head, and for what? They are not entitled to it, your son alone is. When he turns 18, it's his without their control. I really don't want to upest you, but this sounds like they just want to use the money to make you miserable. If it's a large 5 or into a 6 digit sum, get a lawyer, and see if you can protect the money for your son. If it's only a small sum, say 10 grand, you may be able to walk away from it better than all the stress of fighting for it. This is a matter of weighing the value of how much it will benefit your son. Yes, it's his, but even still, it almost looks like a typical money thing when there is a death in a family = people getting greedy. Your older son believed he could trust his uncle's integrity, when you now see that there is a likelihood that he may have motives.

If I can help you at all, feel free to ask. I'm willing to help you all I can. My very best to you, and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

• Members

Rhonda68:

To you, first I offer my sincere condolences for the loss of your son. I certainly cannot say that I know that pain. I am a mother. I do have one 26 year old son. I can't even begin to comprehend that pain. I have lost a brother and did witness my Mother's broken heart. That grief in and of itself is more than your heart should have to bear. It's a shame that selfishness, greed and vengence have to show up when a death takes place. I'm experiencing that in an entirely different way with a couple of my brothers, following my Mother's death. Nonetheless, the overwhelming fog that you're caught up in is very unfortunate. Like the very good response from ALWAYSMYJENNIFER, see what your legal recourse is, If the money is a large enough amount to put your energy into, it was meant for your son, do what you must do. I work in a legal (not an attorney, but in court every day with civil and criminal cases)setting and I know that in my homestate, you can contest the selection of a Trustee. With the right attorney, presenting enough reasons for this person's inabilities, the Court could appoint someone else. If you do this, turn it over to an attorney, make sure their reputable and let him/her handle it and know that it will take time to resolve. You've enough to do, dealing with your loss.

The people that are in your life now, if they are not a positive for you and can't offer the support and love that you need now, separate yourself from them. You need positive, encouraging influences. I'm finding that for today, to get through my grief, I'm laying down a few relationships because they are detrimental to my mental health, they are hurtful and cause controversy and turmoil, the last thing we need right now. This doesn't have to be a life long decision, but do what you must for now, to get through today. Trust your instincts.

You're in my prayers. You're not alone.

• Members

Dear Alwaysmyjennifer and Clittlelady thank you so much for your responses you have no idea what this has meant for me. People that actually understand I have been really feeling like just throwing in the towel i have no fight left in me and it is hard to find people to talk too! Why do some people have the need to be so controlling ofothers I dont get it?

Love,

Richardsmom Oct 9,1985 - February 23,2005

• Members

Rhonda68,

Why? Here's my theory....because they don't have any understanding of why they are here...because they don't believe that what goes around comes around...because they have their own problems from their own histories but haven't figured out, or don't want to, why or how to keep the good and give up the bad...because their own lives are so miserable and empty and so they try to control other people's lives instead of looking at their own...because they've decided that attack is more productive than love...because they've abdicated themselves from their own responsibility to account for their own actions....because essentially, they're sick in their heads because of all the above and so don't learn and grow. And probably many more reasons. And all of that helps you how? It doesn't change what they do to us, it only give us pause to reflect and then let them go if we want. It helps us detach from their personality quirks and deficiencies if we determine we have to or want to fight back for our own rights. It helps protect our feelings of hurt to some extent.

The advice from Clittlelady and Alwaysmyjennifer is sound. Do what your heart tells you is right for YOU and your son. Many of us, including me, are going through similar situations with our relatives, in my case my last remaining brother, so know that you're not alone, as this helps, too. It doesn't make our battles any less unpleasant and hurtful, but it helps to know we're not the only ones.

• Members

Thank you swede1 for your explanation it helps so much for people to tuly understand this crap! Thanks to the 3 of you I have at least gained enough courage to make an appointment with a laywer to see what can be done. Unfortunately I dont have much money and that is what its probably going to take. I just want what is right I know my son would want things to be right and every penny better go to my other son.

Love you and your in my thoughts!

Rhonda

• Members

Rhonda68,

Glad it helped! And good for you, making that appointment! If it helps any further, I'll likely never see any inheritance from my parents and I've been told it could cost up to $30,000 to fight my brother, even WITH lots of evidence of foul play...and for an uncertain sum to be had, as my brother has likely either hidden it or spent it by now. I STILL haven't checked with a different lawyer as yet, because it's not only depressing as hell, but I've been trying to stay out of that kind of stressful experience, for the sake of my health AND my karma!

• Members
alwaysmyjennifer

Rhonda, I am happy to hear you will be able to at least talk to a lawyer about this. You'll most likely find this to be the best approach. I don't want to make you feel uncomfortable, but if this is a burden, I'm willing to help you as much as I can with the cost, if you'd like me to do that for you. It's just a little thing I can do to make your situation a little easier to get through. Like I say, I don't want to upset you or offend you, but only make an offer.

Take care, and God bless. Mark

• Members

Dear alwaysmyjennifer I am not upset or offended by your offer. I am sure you have lots of expenses as well I could not take your money. Thank you for your kind offer.

Richards Mom

• Guests

(the boards wont let me log in, if i come back later as sweetpea1995, some of you might remember my story, you might not, just giving a heads up). im not sure if what i've got going counts as truly dysfunctional, but i'm willing to give it a shot, because i could use some help at the moment. the thing is, my family isn't so dysfunctional, my parents are usually ok, they used to argue a lot and my mom left for a day or two once, but they went through counseling and resolved their differences and now they hardly fight at all. but my sister had a genetic disorder, so her mental state wasn't the best, she'd get overstimulated easily, then just shut down, and while she was 9 years old, she had the mental state of maybe a 5 year old. no one figured it out for a while, but i had a few disorders of my own, mainly a severe anxiety disorder which caused panic attacks, sometimes random, sometimes stress-related. becuase of my sister, my parents expected me to be more responsible, and were treating me as if i were an adult, when really the whole thing started when my sister was born and i was 4 years old. last year, my sister suddenly passed, and PTSD made my disorder worse, causing me to mentally shut down. now, i'm making improvements, but the one year anniversary of my sister's death is a week from tomorrow, and i'm afraid the same thing will happen again. if there's one thing i want to avoid, it's being stuck back in that hopeless area i was sucked into last year. if anyone has any ideas on what i can do to try and not cause a panic attack, i'd appreciate it. again, i'm not entirely sure if this is the right board for me, forgive me if i'm on the entirely wrong board, i'm 14 and kinda new to this whole online support group thing. i've already posted on the grief of a sibling board, but thought i might give this a shot as well.

• Members

Hi everyone

melissa.. I'm very sorry to hear about your father . I lost my dad 9 months ago to suicide. It hasn't gotten easier.

My questions for all of you out there are many.

My mother is angry and cries and screams at ME all the time. My brother has told me that he hates me and his entire family. The family that I grew up in has vanished. I've realized that I didnt have much of one to begin with. There was never a kind word of encouragement for anything that I've ever done other than from my dad. My mother constantly critcized and found fault with me and him. My brother has always been her baby. Hey... this sounds a little like a dysfunctional family unit like i studied in psychology.

My mother told me today that SHE HAD LOST HER HUSBAND.. and losing my father is not as painful as what she is going through. She then took Ativan and drove a vehicle to her friends house. When I caught up with her there she was totally looped. I tried to get her to go to see her dr. Who wants her in the hospital. She makes comments like " I've got enough pills here to do me in too"...

How can I look after her and my family and work and miss my dad? How do I even begin to go on and get through with this process of grief when everyone around me seems to be so wrapped up in hate? IS it normal for families to fall apart like this? My brother also tells me that I am not allowed to talk to my neice or nephew... When I asked him why he said " it's just best i don't want you around my family" We have never argued.. he lived his life and I lived mine.. we saw each other on special events... went out to eat together... things like that.. but now.. for some reason he has decided that he hates me.

I've not only lost my dad.. but the rest of my nuclear family also. I'm tired of being &**^^% on. I'm starting to feel the effects of all this.

Cant sleep... Cant eat.

My mother who has told me in no uncertain terms that I am not to come to her for support leaves me at least 8 voice mails a day crying and screaming for help. I can't even go to the grocery store without her calling me.

She calls me at work.. but yet tells me when I'm upset that I need to see a shrink to get my feelings out.

I recently found out that she argued with my father the morning that he shot himself. She confided in me that she told him that if he couldn't " get happy" he should just call the vet and be put to sleep like they had to do with their dog.

My heart is so heavy... My husband is worried about me. I've seen a counselor and a minister... doesn't change the facts that things are bad.

Another thing.... My mother had my husband and myself drive her for the reading of my father's will. She had me then go again to the lawyer's office for the re writing of the will. I just sat there. She appointed the attorney as the executor of the estate. This i felt was a good decision because should anything ever happen to her I won't have to deal with my brother. My brother has been pushing for the last several months to do away with the lawyer.. and Now I find that the will was changed.

I am trying to find a way to disinherit myself. I want out of this family.

I really want out of the pain.

My husband thank god is from a normal family.... I always ask him questions about these experiences... are they normal... did you hear what my mom said.

He is in total disbelief of how they treat me. He wants to write them both letters.. have them sent from a lawyer and tell them to leave me and him alone.

I have a hard time with that since my mom is the only parent that i have left.

Oh well...

I survived thanksgiving and christmas without a word from my brother.

I Survived it without my dad...

I guess One more person gone from my life won't make that big of a difference.

Any bit or pieces of encouragement are welcomed here.

(Post ID: 31650)

• Members

nurseconnie...I've seen you post on the suicide board and I am so sorry for what you are going through. I can't relate to all that you are going through but I hate to see someone reaching out for help and not getting anything. It's hard enough to lose a father, whom you probably adored, but to also lose the rest of your family is unthinkable. If I was to make a guess...your mother probably feels so guilty at what she said to your father and feels that maybe, that is what made him do what he did. She, and your brother, might feel that you had a relationship with your Dad that they didn't have. Now they feel guilty and resent you for having something they didn't,and now, can never have. It doesn't make things easier for you, I know. This is easier to say than to do...but you have to concentrate on you. Let your husband be the one to help you through this. Your mother has friends who can help her if she wants help.(as I said, this is easier to say than do...I know you don't really want to desert you mother at this time) I wish there were easy answers. I remember when my father died...I was married and had a 1 year old son. I wanted to crawl into the casket and be buried with him...he was my rock. I loved my husband and son...but did not want to leave my father. Of course, the feeling goes away in time but you need to give yourself this time...take what your husband is willing to give you and concentrate in you. Your families grief will take care of themselves. Be good to you.

BettyAnn

• Members

Betty ann

I have read all your posts... I read them for months before I posted here.

I've soaked up a lot from your wisdom.

I realized today that I dont have one possession of my father's. Not a cap ... or anything. It really made me sad.

Then I looked in the mirror to do my hair... i was concentrating on my hair.. which was giving me a fit. ... and I saw my dad's eyes just looking at me.

My eyes are exactly his... same color .. shape ... everything.

My nose is exactly like his.

My feet are even shaped like his.

He was such a cutie ,,, even for a 69 yr old man.

I am going to try to count my blessings... it's just so hard with my mom pulling her hysterics every other day.

I've always been the scapegoat.. as well as the fixer.

I'm the one who gets blamed when things go wrong... and I'm the one expected to fix them. .... crazy huh?

The strangest thing is... I miss my father so much... but I carry no guilt.

For awhile I thought... since i'm a nurse i should have seen it coming.

Then I realized that he did what he wanted to do. He went out the way he wanted to go. I'm sure that the last person he talked to was his God. My father was a religious man...

Everyone here has their losses... so other than a place to vent.. i don't always look for help here. It's really not fair to expect other's here to help me. What I do try to get from here is wisdom and insight. It has helped a lot.

It's also a place where I can really lay it out on the line without a lot of BS from others. Everyone seems to know at least partly how it feels.

Suicide is rough though.

To all of you out there.. My best friend just lost her 13 year old to suicide by a gun. Please reconsider your choices to keep weapons in your homes. Buy a big dog instead.

Love to everyone

Happy new year

Connie

• Members

My father died five days before Christmas. Being a stone alcoholic for so many years of his life had estranged him from everyone in his life. When he became demented twenty years ago I took over his care, got him into the best nursing home situations possible, and for the first ten years kept very close. I have two brothers and their expressed hate for him has been aimed at me for these twenty years. They told me I was stupid to do what I was doing. My mother, who for many years said he was "only your father biologically," can't bring herself to acknowledge my grief. My brothers offered no support, no understanding for my place in this transaction.

As a child nobody could take my love for him away, in spite of the things told to children that shouldn't be told. I corresponded with him and saw him as a teen and young adult. My last letter to him was returned unopened when he was found in a ditch in Texas in 1984. That was when his de-tox did not yield results and his dimentia was complete.

Over the past months of his long decline I thought I would be ready for his passing. I saw him and he knew me and told me he loved me. He said that I sure turned out to be a pretty young lady (not so young now but who was I to argue with the love in his eyes). Every time, every single time I saw him or spoke to him he knew me, knew my name, and gave me his love in the words "I love you".

Hospice oversaw his last days. I did not feel I needed to see him dying or dead. I had seen him alive and told him everything I needed to tell. I saw as never before how brilliantly blue his eyes were. Now I am alone in a grief I do not know how to feel. My grief is peppered with the buckshot of my family's lack of support. I don't ask them to even acknowledge his life or death. I presumed they would support me and respect my grief but that was not the case.

This is the saddest place I have ever found in myself. The pure white hot tears and longings of grief for the man I did not hate. The man who, biologically, gave me half of the words I can use to describe, half of the words I can use in duty and responsibility.

Through these many years of him living the same day over and over, unchanging - I find myself wracked with the sadness of my loss. It is my loss. And as the one in my family who is "always there," strong, and reliable, I have found myself adrift without the respect and support I know I deserve.

Thanks for letting me speak. I am in grief for a man who never did not love me even though he opted out of the role of husband and father. My best to you.

• Members

Mineralla:

I read your post and just have to tell you first of all, from the bottom of my heart, I'm sorry for all that you've suffered with your father and your losing him. Secondly, that I admire and respect you for all that you gave of yourself to your father, your sacrifice. What a true blessing to him you were, regardless of what anyone else thought. You did what you had to do, what your heart guided you to do. Everyone has their own actions to answer for and their own choices to live with. You have nothing to be ashamed of. I'm speaking as someone who has had much alcoholism in my immediate family, not a parent though. My father chose to leave me at birth, with no alcoholism for an excuse. I have a pretty dysfunctional family. I didn't realize just how dysfunctional until I lost my Mother August 30th, 2005. This grief is the hardest things, the deepest wound I've ever known. I can't imagine having that, with these other things you've shared, included in that. There is no perfect person in this world. Alcoholism is a disease. In some family members, the damage is irreversible and there is no forgiveness. I can only say that you do not carry your grief alone. Coming here, there are many others who truly understand how your heart is breaking. I usually post under loss of a Mother. This forum was one of my first places to post as I've went through some pretty horrible things with family since my Mother's death, as well as before. Hold your head up. You did what you believed to be right for You. It was your choice to do for your father and yours alone. You must grieve. Let it out. You have to vent. I stumbled into this website September 15th. I've never before been in a chat room or on a message board. But this place has been an intricate part of my healing, of which I'm still going through and will for some time, I'm sure. You can talk it out here.

You're in my prayers. Be strong. Hang in there. You're not alone.

Connie

• Members

Miner

Please know that there are some of us out here who do and can feel your pain.

Your letter pretty much sent me into the bathroom to cry for a bout an hour

I lost my dad recently also. My family is no help with the grief burden that I carry. Instead I am constantly called upon to support others. When I broke down and cried to my brother I was shut out of his family completely.

My father commited suicide at the age of 68. He was a wonderfully brilliant and kind person.

No one loved him like I did. No one looks like him like I do... Know one remmbers how he smelled like I do. Miss him I do... every day.

The one thing that sticks out in your posting is how good you were to your father. He was so so lucky to have someone to care for him and love him in his last hours. I didnt get the chance to tell my dad that... He died alone.

We all have some demons that we carry around with us that seek to destroy our inner peace and harmony. Your father's was his dependancy on a substance.. Mine is trying to reconsole a terrible childhood... Yours will be to find the peace to know that you did the VERY best that you could do. My father's... well his demons were surely great... and he fought them till the end. He became physically ill and couldn't stand it any longer.. only a guess.

We don't have the ability to control other's actions. In fact, i'm pretty sure that God and Angels don't even intefere with our free will. Your dad did what he did to himself.

That being said... it still makes you a fatherless child... and that's a terrible place to be. I constantly rewind the tapes in my head of things that I did with my daddy. I hope that one day they will bring me confort. Right now they just bring me tears. I loved him so so very much.... he had no idea how much. I tell him every night that I love him... and i hope that wherever he is he can hear me.

Please know that the feelings you expressed were very much heard and respected here from a nurse in virginia.

All my prayers...

Connie

• Members

another thought...

He never opted out of loving you...That is such a GREAT thing!

Thumb your nose at what others are doing... You do deserve the respect and the damn time to mourn for your dad... YOU TAKE IT....( now I'm really mad and on a role) You go outside their houses and scream... I LOVED MY DAD... that'll fix em.

he may have not had what it took to be a great and wonderful dad... Mine didnt either.. he was weak in many ways... but I know that no matter what his problems were.. .HE LOVED ME.... he loved all things to the point of pain.

Your dad LOVED you..

Are these other people so stupid to not know that alcoholism ... is a disease...

would they hate him so much had he been diabetic... had his feet chopped off... couldn't provide a living because of that????

Man...

( deep breath)

You take care... I've got your back

C

• Members

It's been awhile since I've posted on BI, but I'm close to exploding again, so am back. All I feel like doing is swearing, I'm so bloody furious with everyone! My relatives are all totally nuts, self-centered and stupid ( how's THAT for being judgemental? - and I don't really CARE right now! ), and just keep hurting me with their ridiculousness....and so far, I've never retaliated, but secretly WANT to! And the stupid governmental dept. I have to deal with regarding my father's care/issues are just as bad! They don't respond to any of my messages, they don't do ANYTHING of any real use! Same goes for the attending doctor for my father - another one who owes me a call and just isn't bothering. I've been emailing several other people, for personal help, and not ONE of them is even replying! I can't TAKE this ignoring me thing anymore!!! My friends are all useless, even the lone one I expect to know better. When I have a bad day, no one seems to understand why I'm upset by these people....hell, truth-be-told, not one friend EVER calls me. If I don't call them, then NOTHING happens. And it's not like I'm always angry on the phone - in fact, I'm usually making a few jokes, but also don't lie and say I'm fine, but am honest about what's going on with me. I think I strike a pretty decent balance....but no one cares anyway...they all just ignore my feelings. I lived my whole, stinkin' life at home like that, and I honestly can't believe this nonsense is still going on, so many years later, and worse, with other people both related and not, to my stupid family! So why did I post under THIS forum? Because I'm wondering now if the entire WORLD isn't dysfunctional to a GREAT degree, if everyone didn't come from a dysfunctional family. I'm so tired of being treated like a speck of dust.I'm fit to be tied, but can't even DO anything about it!

I also just found out my last brother still has our Mother's, and aunt's and uncle's ashes at his home....2 years after our Mother passed, many years after our aunt passed and about 1/2 a year after our aunt's husband passed. WHAT A PIECE OF WORK HE IS!!! I'll never have a place to go to 'visit' with my Mom or one of my favourite aunts....and my Mom's sister is busy making excuses for this brother's lack of 'doing the right thing' by them!! I could kill them both! I'M JUST SO ANGRY AT SO MANY PEOPLE!!!!

• Members

Okay, NOW this board won't let me add to/edit my last post!!! Is EVERYTHING against me?!?!?! I was trying to add that this aunt had the gall to write to me in her letter..."And you think YOU have problems!" This was in response to my letter to her where I was simply saying how hard it was without my Mom yet, and to let her know that my brother's POA was revoked because he wouldn't pay the home where our father is! She came back saying my brother was in dire financial straights - I almost CHOKED!! He's the one who stole our parents' assets, illegally, the recently somehow ALSO got our FATHER'S inheritance from this last uncle who died this year! He's a damn crook, and not only is getting away with it all, but is getting SYMPATHY from the aunt who I'd faithfully maintained contact with for years, while he isolated himself deliberately! I could friggin' SPIT!!

• Members

Swede 1,

I am sorry that you are having such a hard time. I know what it feels like to be ignored and used to cast a HUGE resentment towards my entired family. I grew up in a home where my mother was home being the good housewife/mother and my father worked 3 jobs to support us. We were comfortable, but NOT rich, contrary to the rest of the families belief's.... Any way, I used to feel invisible, as my mom's youngest brother molested me for many, many, many years of my life. I never had a childhood or one that I can really call a childhood, as I was constantly being abused. Then when I went through a VERY hard time in my life and it all came out about my uncle molesting me, the whole family took his side and called me a liar... "It couldn't happen in our family"... Well, it did and it took me MANY years to get ANYONE to believe me... Finally it happened. During this time I was very distructive to myself and my family. I almost made my parents broke, as I took them for a lot of money with my lies and deseption. This was 14 years ago. Now I look back and have an aweful lot of guilt riding on my back. My parents and I have a much better relationship than we did before and my brothers are finally talking to me again. I know that this doesn't compare to your situation, but maybe at some point in your brothers life, he will have to deal with the guilt of stealing from you and your family??? I don't know him or what is behind all that you are talking about. I just felt that I had to share this with you. I know how anger destroyed my life and believe me, I can't stand to harbor it any more. I need to let the people that hurt me know how i feel and why I feel this way. I don't always get the results that I want/need, but at least I don't have it inside anymore. Now it is back on them instead of me. Have you tried to tell your aunt how you feel and why you feel like you do? Have you ever tried to ask your brother why he feels he deserves all that he has stolen from you??? It may not make a difference in your situation, but at least you have tried.

I pray for some peace for you.

Trish

• Members
alwaysmyjennifer

Swede1, I'm sorry the situation is so painful and frustrating for you. Please, whatever you do, make sure you do what's best for you. If a doctor won't return a call, is there someone above that doctor you can formally complain to? Would it help you if an impartial advocate negotiated so you could either keep your dear mom's ashes, or maybe have better access without the struggles? I'm sorry you've experienced the difficulties with friends, too. A friend is supposed to stand by your side no matter what, and no matter how much sorrow you've been through. I've only known you to be a caring and sincere friend. To me, you deserve to be treated so much better. If spitting would help, please do. Maybe the appropriate person will step into sight as a "worthy" target. Take care of yourself, and nurture yourself even if your family and friends won't. If I can help, I'm here for you. You've done so much for me in my journey, it's a joy to offer a little back to you. My prayers are with you.

• Members

SWEDE1: It feels so good to find you again.... However, I'm sorry that it's under the circumstances of all the unhappiness and feelings of betrayal and anger that you are battling. You do deserve to be treated so much better. Your words of encouragement and love and "grit" have helped me tremendously. I mean, what does your brother think he's going to doing with everybody's ashes, take them with him when he goes? What an odd collection. Sounds like he's the one with a problem!

It is indeed a very dysfunctional world for the most part. You remember all my wonderfully dysfunctional family? I've just gave them up. I'd Rather have strangers for company than "blood relatives". I did file a suit against Mother's estate for the funeral costs though. From here on out, I'm letting the attorney deal with it. The brother's nick name to all of his friends is "Max". I lovingly refer to him as "Maxipad" whenever he is seldomly mentioned between my husband and I. I'm learning to laugh about a lot of it now. All that I did for my Mother, all the love I showed her and care I gave her, that allows me to sleep at night. I can say I did all that I could. He and my other brothers will NEVER be able to say that. They will live with their conscience, as will your brother.

Friend, you are better than he is. Please hang on to that. I know that what you're going through now, the boiling and stewing and feeling like no one cares. The frustration with the medical community, the doctor, communication, that in and of itself is enough to make you want to scream. Is this physician associated with a local hopsital? Clinic? If so, possibly you can get the attention of wherever he is on staff at, maybe an administrator? Someone who might convince him to correspond with you. Do you have an Elderly Protection Service affiliated with law enforcement there? If so, it's possible someone affiliated with them could assist you in getting his attention. One more thought. If he is affiliated with Medicare/Medicaid program, they would probably love to hear from you.

On a lighter note.... Go with me here. Sit back, roll your shoulders a couple of times and read on.... Okay, Felony IS NOT AN OPTION. See, the thing about that is, you'd be in a 6 x 8 cell with a roommate named GRETTA who likes everything you don't. A jury of twelve people that are in no way your peers would find you guilty, because one of them has a soccer game to coach and can't miss it, one has a hair color appointment for the next day, and one is a friend of a friend of one of your relatives, so they'll go with the flow and vote guilty. THEN, if the death penalty is imposed, some one of those people you REALLY don't like right now would end up with YOUR ashes! And then I'm left here without you. So I vote with ALWAYSMYJENNIFER.... SPIT. I was a little tomboy, could climb trees (whenever I could get out of my Mother's sight)and one of my brothers did teach me to spit (which when my Mother found out, we both got our bottoms warmed up a little, he more than I). But now, I don't suppose she'd know anything about it, so if I were there with you, I would SPIT TOO.

Honestly, I think you should write a book. I mean it. It would probably be very therapeutic for you, not to mention how many people, like me and many others know that it's "not just my family". I know it probably doesn't feel like it to you, but from outside looking in, from all you've shared with me, you're a very good example of a survivor. Any proceeds gained from this book could be turned into legal power for whatever you need to do?

How is your furbaby?

Regardless of how crazy everything seems, there is a purpose for your life and it's not to be tortured by those around you. You're in my prayers Friend.

Talk to you later.

Connie

• Members

Thank you so much for your thoughtful and kind replies to my post. I felt understood. Not only understood, but I felt the compassion of others who knew the truth and depth that we, the loving wounded, seem to feel so acutely. I drew deeply on my true emotion in writing about Dad. And then I found the place all the years of tears were waiting. And it was a great, cleansing weep for me. I am enjoying a peaceful, accepting separation from him now. No past, no future. No pain - for either of us.

The very best thing: reconnecting with his brother's family. They had love for him and felt the sadness of his passing. We had not been connected for 30 years. We exchanged photographs of our families and our lives.

So I guess reaching out is a first step to exploring the deepest feelings on many occasions in our lives. Thank you again, and may you all find some peace as you reach out, connect, and support one another.

• Members

Trish,

Thank you for the empathy, which always helps when one is dealing with such ornery relatives! It took me this long to reply ( and I owe replies to Mark and Connie as well ) because this board wouldn't let me log in, so I COULDN'T post. I'm just hoping it will keep letting me now!

And I'm very sorry you, too, have had some traumatic issues to contend with in your life. I had one incident of incest, too, but very thankfully, my Mom stepped in right away and put a stop to it, so at a very crucial time, she DID support me. But I'm familiar with that "It couldn't happen in our family" symdrome, too, as I don't think she ever told anyone else in the family about it. It was I who told a couple of relatives later in life, and of course, no one got counseling for such things back then, either, so it's still had its effects on me. Luckily, I WAS believed, both when it happened and later...which isn't the norm, I know.

With my brother, I can't even imagine what would, at this late stage, even make him feel guilty, if he doesn't already. He learned from our dad how to be a crook, walk all over people and then whine and pewl about how hard-done-by he is. I can't expect he'll see any return-in-kind for his actions in this lifetime, but can only hope once he's in spirit, it won't be too pleasant for him to finally see how he'd harmed so many.

I think you're right about speaking up for yourself when you're hurt, and this is perhaps where the answer to my problems lie. I need to find ways to do that, assertively, but not meanly, and unfortunately, I'm not well-practiced in that sort of thing, as I had no modeling of how that's done acceptably. So no, I haven't tried that (yet?), but am considering it. Either that, or write letters without any intention of sending them, just to get everything out. This aunt likely would NEVER understand anything, as she's suffering from SOME kind of mental illness now. I DID write a letter to my brother, shortly after our losses, and did try to explain some things he seemed to have misconceptions about ( regarding me ), because when I tried to bring these up on the phone with him, he cut me off short, not wanting to hear my side of anything. He actually said right out that he wasn't interested in that...so he never replied at all, and that's when we became totally estranged. I didn't want to make myself more vulnerable to attack by someone who obviously had no heart. So I doubt if that would work with him, either. Although, I really like the way you put it...

"why he feels he deserves all that he has stolen from you??? " But for someone with a big chip on his shoulder, and resentment towards anyone who has more than he has, it's not hard to figure out. He's just completely self-absorbed and no one else matters.

I'm in the middle of working through a book now that may help me resolve alot of this stuff, both with my deceased family members and with those who are still alive but not a part of my life, so we'll see. Again, thanks for the compassion. It's good to know there are still some decent people around who AREN'T afraid to give of themselves.

• Members

Hi Mark,

Long time no chat! Well, that doctor actually finally called me just yesterday - not that it was great news, but at least he called. I'm just glad they're issues about my DAD now, and not my Mom, or I'd really be fit to be tied! However, I'm still going to have to call yet another person now, meaning, the Chief Medical Examiner's office, to find out in advance about autopsies and how all that works. Am going to have to hound the Public Trustee again, though, as she hasn't seen fit to return either of my 2 calls yet. And there's no one who I can go to regarding my Mom's ashes, as my brother IS still one of our parents' children, so has as much right as anyone to just keep them. Plus, he holds the funds that would pay for interment somewhere, from my Mom's estate which was passed to my father, then stolen by this brother. The Public Trustee was the body that was supposed to hunt down these funds, and they simply haven't seen fit to do as much as they have the power to do.

Thanks, though, for the suggestions, and for your continuing care of me. I know you've been going through much sorrow, too, in the last while, and like you, I'll do what I can to listen and offer whatever I can. With these continuing board problems I've been having, I dropped away for quite awhile because it was getting too frustrating trying to post, plus my pain level just went way up with the holidays. Hopefully, I can hang around more again....but only the Board knows...

• Members

Okay, Connie, I'm trying this, but when I went to post to you, after Mark, it wouldn't let me log on again, so this first one is just a test.

• Members
I mean, what does your brother think he's going to doing with everybody's ashes, take them with him when he goes? What an odd collection.

Connie, ( that last post worked, so I'm trying again... )

Okay, that's my first LOLOLOLOL!!!! Maybe if I start to think about it this way, that will help!! LOL!

As I mentioned to Mark, the doc ( he's the attending doc at the senior's home ) did finally call...but just like with my Mom, there's no changing anyone's minds at these places once they're made up. I was mainly interested in finding out about some of my father's conditions, in case they're inheritable, so I at least got some info. on that. I'm also looking into autopsies, for when he goes, to find out if his dementia is really Alzheimer's or not, but for this I have more calling around to do. Sigh...no one knows nothin' half the time!

On your lighter note.... oh, LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!! You really DO have a sense of humour I can relate to! TOO funny, Connie!!

Write a book? Well, maybe, someday, but first I must work through every loss I've ever had, in order to maybe be happy one day....not alot of experience with that.

Our gal-pal has been almost constantly ill, bladder-wise at a minimum, ever since the fall, so it's been very hard on me in every sense. She just had another homeopathic remedy a few days ago which has increased her energy level again....a blessing that I haven't seen for SO long, so I'm just going to enjoy that while it lasts. I'm still constantly anxious about her, though, and know she feels that lousy energy coming off me, so I'm trying to find some BIG answers to the BIG questions, so that maybe I can calm down for her. Thanks for asking about her, BTW.

There's more to catch up on, but it's dinner time already and I'm scared this is going to time-out on me.......so for now I'll just take everyone's advice and have a nice, big SPIT!!! It's nice to be back, but if this board keeps messin' with me, I might have to suddenly disappear again!

• Members

SWEDE1: lolololololoL

Tip: (I learned the hard way.) If you're taking a little more than a few minutes to type in a post or you have to get away from computer for a few minutes, highlight your entire post then click onto Edit and then click on to copy. I usually just start my post over and then click paste and it's saved there until next time or you shut down. Hope that helps.... See ya later.

• Members

DeeAnn:

Thanks for your comment. I've found that developing a sense of humor helped bring me out of my extreme shyness as a child and helped me tremendously in handling being in the working world. Now, it has come to me at a rather odd time of my life, such a sad point, some days I cry, but I do find laughter again and I thought that part of me was gone forever. Guess it's my personal survival instinct. I try to be careful not to diminish the seriousness of someones situation here, but if you can look at the bigger picture and laugh at some of it, sometimes it can make the day a little smoother. Hope I never offend anyone. If I do, I hope they tell me, because it's certainly not my intent. Honestly, with all the recent turn of events that the death of My Mother has brought on in my family, my rage almost consumed me, until humor kicked in.

Connie

• Members

Hi all,

I am new here, but can so relate. I lost my parents and have only a sister that is so toxic, I can't maintain a relationship with her.

It makes things hard, as I often times feel alone.

I also try to maintain a sense of humor.

• Guests

I just became a member and have never been to a forum. Everyone keeps saying I need to deal with my feelings of anger and resentment toward my father who has been dead since 1999. I now live back in the same city where he is buried. I told myself I would never go see his grave and I did not attend his funeral even though I knew where it was and it would have taken me minutes to get there. This is how much I hated my father. I know I need to forgive to move on but I dont feel he deserves for me to go to his grave. How much good will it do me really.

• Members

Dear Guest,

I'm sorry to hear about the relationship you had with your dad that has led to this struggle you now have with your feelings after his death. If you feel it would serve you no purpose to go to his grave, then I wouldn't do it. There were obviously things that happened that hurt you deeply, and I hope you're able to find a way to resolve those feelings so you can move on with life without the weight of this burden you now feel. Forgiveness is often for the person forgiving more so than the person we are forgiving of a wrong. I hope you will be able to find a way to forgive him so YOU can be released from the bonds of hatred you now feel. It's not an easy thing to let go of, but it is freeing and empowering. And it's a choice. As it is now, he still has power over you because of the emotional energy you are investing in the hatred. Take that power back and put it into something positive by resolving that you will not allow him to continue to have any control of your emotions. That's easy to say and difficult to do, and perhaps it would even be helpful to seek the advice of a professional counselor as you work through these feelings.

I wish you success in dealing with these past hurts, and I wish for you peace. Please let us know how you're doing. Take care...

DeeAnn

• Members

I dont really even think about him but there are times when i realize i act like him and its irritating because my mother always points it out. I never had closure after his death and i feel as though my emotions run along the same lines as his. I dont want to be weak like he was. Like father like daughter. He bothers me more now that hes dead like hes haunting me through my actions without me even realizing.

• Members

Dear joselsmagik,

You have a huge advantage over him though. You're able to *see* the quirks in your personality and will, therefore, be able to redirect them into something positive. We're all a product of our pasts, and knowledge and insight are powerful things. Use them to your advantage and know that you ARE NOT your father. Do you have the type of relationship with your mom where you can simply ask her *not* to say you are acting like him? If so, I would do that, and maybe it would at least cut down on the "jabs." Please take good care of yourself...

DeeAnn