Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Honour memory board

solemate

• Members

I have been on the boards for only one year and it seems to me a new section could help us to sometimes focus on  the fondest memories rather than the deaths.  It could be a post of a memory that you have about someone that has passed on yesterday, last month, last year or many years ago.  My hope is that this board will bring a smile to our faces as we remember the fondest memory of our loved one (s) - Gayle

• Members

Mum - my fondest memory of you is when you and I go to the local markets to look for little treasures for the dolls that you and I collect.  We would go early in the morning, go up and down the isles of the market and have a cuppa over a slice.  I still go to the markets and smile as I remember the times that you and I had together.  I still look for that little treasure in memory of you.  Love Gayle

• Members

Dad - my fondest memory of you is when you and I spent time together going through your photos of the Korean War.  Although this time was emotional for you, I know it meant a lot to you that I was scrapping your memories of the war.  I cried with you as you rememberd the times and the 'blokes' that you left behind.  I was pleased that you saw the end result before you left me.  I continue to collect items of the Korean war in memory of your time spent during the war and what it meant to you. Not the war but the 'mateship'.  love gayle

• Members
sunkenspirits

My fondest memory of my mom was that she was always there to listen and had such a deep curiosity for the world around her. She'd watch every news item, read every newspaper, books, and we'd sit for hours talking about all of that and more. She just wanted to know about everything she could. That is what I remember most about her.

A fond memory of my father is that I took the time to spend as much time with him after my mother died. I got to find out what we had in common. Because before that, we didn't talk much. He had completely different interests than I did. But we found common ground and I wound up watching soaps with him and especially westerns. We'd have dinner in the living room and watch Bat Masterson and Rifleman together or we'd sit outside watching the animals in the yard. If there is one thing I don't regret, it's that I took the time to be with him while I could.

I'm starting to tear up writing this, so I'm gonna end it there.

• Members

This was a great idea Gayle

Dad - My fondest memory tonight is that you were always there to support me and give advice.

Mom- My fondest memory tonight is of you combing out my hair at night - that's been ages ago, but it was always so nice to sit and have you work on my hair.

My fondest memory of you both is that you always held hands.

Love you both bunches and miss you as well.  Take care all who come here!

• Members

Fond memories of my mum:

1) She was the perfect mother!

2) Her unwavering spirit and passion for the family business

3) Her generosity to others; she made sure everybody has enough to eat

4) How she styled my hair and sang praises about me to he friends and customers(making me blush at dat time).

5) She would lie on my bed and chit-chat (I would give anything in the world to have her in my room again!)

6) The stories she recounted to me abt her tough childhood

7) Her love and concern for us.

God, I miss her so much!! Its been 21 weeks since she's gone...

Gayle.. this is a brilliant idea! thanks.

• Members
robinann202

Fond memories of my mom,

She was a hairdresser and dealing with the customers took alot of skill, let's say.

We use to go to hair shows and do bridal shows, doing hair and make-up for the performances.

My mom was caring and would help anyone, give the clothes off her back.

My mom was definately the center of the family-she kepf everyone going.

She liked to joke around, she cheered the loudest, she was definately our biggest fan in whatevr sport or whatever we did, my brothers and I.

She took care of everyone, was always there.

She loved music, dancing,ice skating, bowling, design, shopping.

She was caring, giving, respectful, wouldnt judge anyone, she was just a all around person who enjoyed life and family. She loved her family--travelling, holidays, picnics--all.

She met alot of good friends being a hairdresser, some were the best of freinds.  She loved her friends, it was a passiom of hers...

My Dad----

He was a joker, loving, caring, he would worry about everyone, even if he didnt know them.

There were times he didnt like the fact that someone didnt have something--or a person walking on the street didnt have nice shoes--jacket--whatever--he would give them--buy them. 

He was a hard and dedicated worker.  He enoyed working and providing. Went to work sick at times and my mom had to fight to make him stay home.

He loved family, friendships, was funny--dedicayed.

He enjoyed bowling, travelling with family, seeing new places.

He was very handy around the house--he fixed anything and everything--he was a perfectionist in some ways which was rough at times--cause it had to be right--always.

He would give to poor--he would hand someone money--feed them--he was so great, he did get taken advantage of by some--but he never changed--he was still himself. 

My mom and dad both were always doing things together--they were waiting for the day to come--to travel together--and see the world, it was thier dream together--which never happened.  They did see a few places together but not like they wanted..They wanted to have grandchildren and be a part of us--family--and travelfor themselves--But things happen this way....

post-19887-128153889651_thumb.jpg

• Members

[align=center]Fond memory of my sister, Roxanne (7/24/58 - 7/6/07)[/align]

Back in the late 70's my (one-year older than I) brother and I were invited to a Halloween party where there was to be a contest for the best costume.  My sister, Roxanne, the VERY creative one, suggested we go as "Luke" and "Leia" from Star Wars.   By the time she was done, we looked JUST like them; I remember the black wig I had that she worked diligently on to make those "ram" circles Princess Leia wore.  Yes, we won first place.  Still we smile when thinking back to that Halloween and how insightful my sister was as to how/why she thought of THOSE particular characters for us to emulate for BACK then, it wasn't commonly known (yet) that Luke & Leia WERE indeed brother and sister -- oh, the irony.  :)

Next thought, me as Marilyn Monroe in 6th grade --- *stay tuned*

Hugs and love to all ...

Mary Ellen

[align=center][The picture below is of my actress sister, Roxanne, in full costume as the lead "Audry Rose" who she portrayed in our small town's community play; circa mid-80s][/align]

post-19990-128153889661_thumb.jpg

• Members
MissionBlue

I know this thread is eleven years old, but I like the theme of it.  My fondest Halloween memory was when my grandmother sewed a costume for me, of her own design.  I was the Queen of Hearts with a heart sewn on the bodice of the dress and a veiled pointy hat (hennin)  atop my head.  My dad made all of my Halloweens fun.  He would put on a scary mask as he answered the door with candies for the Trick or Treaters.  Even on our last Halloween together, at age 86, he put on a scary mask for the kiddies.  Alas, only a handful of children come to the front door on Halloween anymore.  I think today's children are too lazy to walk up the hill.     

So many fond memories of my dad.  Hard to pick just one.  I guess the fondest was when he took me as a child to the Avenue Theatre on Friday nights to watch silent film revivals.  On a summer night, we'd walk home from the bus stop, through the spooky tunnel under the freeway where a man had been murdered (it's now boarded up).   I felt perfectly safe with my dad.  Then we would climb up steep Costa Street to our home on the hill.  There would be the scent of night blooming jasmine in the air.  One particular night we had just viewed "Beau Brummell" (1924),  starring John Barrymore.  The theater organist who accompanied the film had played Anton Rubinstein's "Romance" as the love theme.  My dad had the 78 rpm record in his collection, and he played it for me when we got home.  He taught me to love all the things he loved, and they were beautiful things.  i loved how at the end of the film, Beau Brummell who is old, penniless and mad dies in an asylum.  Then his spirit rises out of his dead body as the handsome Beau of his youth.  He is happily reunited with his lady love (Mary Astor) who has come to take him to the other side.  

My dad was the ideal man to me:  handsome, kind, good-natured, cultured yet humble, gentle yet strong.  He had been a boxer in the army during the Korean War.  He lost the camp championship by a decision, but to me, he was the uncrowned champion of my life.   I'll never forget when he got an older girl at school to stop bullying me when I was in first grade at public school.  He confronted the girl after school and told her to leave his daughter alone or he would beat up her father.  Problem solved.  Then he transferred me to Catholic school where I had no more troubles of the kind.  

Other fond memories: 

At Christmas my brave daddy would climb up the tallest cedar tree in the back yard to place a lighted star at the top.  He made the star himself and you could see it from the Bayshore Freeway here in San Francisco.  I've never seen another one like it.  As a little girl I worried about him getting hurt, but he always made it back down safe and sound. 

Celebrating the Fourth of July (Independence Day) in the backyard with my dad.  He would buy about $50 worth of fireworks (which was over $300 in today's money).  He was not a wealthy man, but he liked to make me and our guests happy.  We'd have a wonderful barbecue and he'd play patriotic Sousa marches from his 78 record collection.  Then we'd enjoy leftovers the following day as he cleaned the marble patio of scorch marks.  

In the fall, we would rake leaves together in the back yard and burn them in a barrel on a chilly day.  This was long before Spare the Air days came into existence.

Watching our favorite old movies together on tv and never tiring of them.  Back when my dad worked nights, during my summer vacation from school, a few times he would come home at 2 am with hamburgers and French fries from our local Doggie Diner (which no longer exists).  Then we'd watch the late, late show together on tv.  This was a huge treat as we rarely ate fast food in those days.  

Dropline fishing on Muni Pier together.  Again, the highlight of the day were hamburgers and french fries from the local fast food joint.  The fresh sea air and watching seagulls, puffins and pelicans fly by was a lot of fun as a young girl.  

Looking for shooting stars at night together with cups of hot Ovaltine and buttered slices of toasted French bread.  Then when my dad and I went to the Poconos together for the first time we were dazzled by the millions of stars visible at night.   

My dad was a dreamer of dreams, an armchair adventurer.   Home was where his heart was.  I only wish he had liked to travel more;  then I would have had even more cherished memories of him.  My biggest regret is that we never got to go to Las Vegas together.  He would have loved it.  

Archived