Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I'm feeling ill months after my dad passes

DarkHairedGirl

• Members
DarkHairedGirl

I lost my dad 4 months ago. He died so suddenly and in front of me in the hospital. He had pancreatic cancer but he died from a pulmonary infection. He just stopped breathing. It was completely unexpected. In the last few weeks, like a delayed reaction, I started to get stressed and I lost my appetite. I'm sleeping all the time. I shake and feel jittery all the time. I also feel anxious.I want to function again, but I feel like a shell of myself. Throwing out the trash is now a major task for me. My heart is racing all the time. Is there any strategy to cope and become whole again? I want to be my old self again.

• Members

DarkHairedGirl, I am very sorry about you loss of your dad. While some anxiety and physical struggles are common, perhaps you need to start with your doctor to determine if you are having an physical problems that may be just coincidental. If you are not eating enough--try drinking Ensures or some type of nutritional supplement drink like that. You can buy them anywhere. That may help you. Eat smaller meals, and drink plenty of water, too. Do you have anyone to talk to? Friends or family to lean on? We will be here for you--ModKonnie

• Members
DarkHairedGirl

DarkHairedGirl, I am very sorry about you loss of your dad. While some anxiety and physical struggles are common, perhaps you need to start with your doctor to determine if you are having an physical problems that may be just coincidental. If you are not eating enough--try drinking Ensures or some type of nutritional supplement drink like that. You can buy them anywhere. That may help you. Eat smaller meals, and drink plenty of water, too. Do you have anyone to talk to? Friends or family to lean on? We will be here for you--ModKonnie

I have started using protein powder. Meals are far and few. I am completely alone. Just a few phone calls here and there.

• Members

I am sorry for your loss.

I lost my Dad 5 weeks ago and I also have some of your symptoms.

I sleep late into the morning because I have no reason to get up since my Dad passed away.

I was his full time carer and my life revolved around him.

Now he has gone I have little purpose and each day is a struggle, in a cheerless house, full of reminders.

I get panic attacks from time to time , cry a lot and feel very lonely.

Basically I am very much alone because my best friend / parent is no longer here - it is really hard and I am hanging in hoping things will improve.

I don't each much - mainly cakes. I haven't had a hot meal in 6 weeks . Just don't feel like it. But I drink a lot of milk and coffee.

I wonder if you are suffering from delayed shock.

You seem to be having the symptoms that I now have , but delayed by a few months.

It can affect you physically as well as psychologically so you have to be careful.

It is perhaps worthwhile going to see the doctor to see what he says.

Personally, I don't think I will ever recover from my Dad's passing away because I loved him so much and miss him more than words can describe, but it might get less painful in time , which is what I am hoping for.

• Members

Hi everyone. I wrote something about these symptoms of grief. I wasnt' aware of this but i felt quite comforted when i read this. There is a gland just above the kidney that is activated by intense grief and emotions such as the loss of a loved one and this is a normal reaction to grief. Oh, by all means go to the doctors and get peace of mind but when i lost my dad due to a heart attack, a few weeks later i experienced aches and pains and also down my left arm, i thought OMG, i am going to have one too. It turned out to be tension from the crying and the muscles around the shoulders. It was scary and i did have panic attacks as well.

When my mum died from an aneurysm in the aorta, i started getting aches and pains again and thought i could feel a throbbing in my stomach and had panic attacks from that. Three months after my mam died, my husband had a hemorrhage on the brain. He survived but then my grief for my mam was like, put on hold to care for my husband. I then started getting headaches on one side of the head and this went on for months and that scared me too. I think if someone all those years ago could have told me about this gland that gets activated in grief, i wouldn't have had to go through all that panic and anxiety, its bad enough loosing someone close without having all that as well. What i read also was to try some meditation, i know that is easy to say and may feel very hard to do while your grieving but to try and give it a go. It is also a time for taking care of ourselves.

sogovia

Archived