Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

I've never lost a family member before

HopexElizabeth

• Members
HopexElizabeth

It's been over a year since my Aunt Lisa has passed, but I have now come to the point of realizing she isn't with us any longer . She was like a second mother to me . She passed very suddenly . I have very poor coping skills, and as a recovered addict, I fear a relapse . If anyone could tell me what has helped them get though the grieving it would be really helpful .

• Members

What has helped me sweetheart is reading anything I could get my hands on about life after death. "There's More To Life Than This" by Teresa Caputo is really good as is "Hello From Heaven". I have always been a Christian and believe in God, Jesus & The Holy Spirit. Combining that belief with Spiritualism has given me such a positive outlook lately. I am no longer devastated and even feel hopeful again. I too am a recovered addict. Don't ever let relapse be an option. That is only hurting yourself and allowing evil to prevail.

• Members

Hello there. I hear your desperation over your lost Aunt and what she had meant to you. I too am in recovery and what i think is that whatever your drug of choice was (mine was alcohol) it will make things worse not better dear. When i was drinking i would down my sorrows believe me but in recovery its like you have to relearn how to deal with emotions and its about finding ways to work through them other than the "dreaded stuff" Like the lady said above, find things to read like "life after loss" and keep coming here too like you have already done. That is one tool you already did to cope was come here. If you think you might benefit from some bereavement counselling then do that, its about whatever you can do just do it, if it works, do it!

Take care

sogovia

• Members

Also things to help your grieving is to cry whenever you feel like it. Crying relieves me, I feel silly at first but i had to practice crying again and when we do it can feel uncomfortable but the more i cry or let myself cry the more i got out of of it and the better i felt.

sogovia

Archived