Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Books?

starshine

• Members

I am a 15 year old and my dad died when I was 12. Recently, a very good friend of mine had a little cousin who's dad died. I am very close to the cousin and the whole family. The cousin's name is Bree and she is 6, turning 7 in late June. I was wondering if anyone had any good books that dealt with death/dying/grief that were suitable for a young child her age. Her dad died of cancer but she was mostly left out of the loop. Please let me know if you can give me any suggestions. Thanks so much.

• Members

Starshine - I can't think of any titles but I would suggest that you try asking at a local library of book store or go search online....there are probably a number of books available - and may I add that I think it's great for you to be taking an active part in helping your cousin.  Take care.

• Members
hansonamysue

Hi Starshine- My Dad recently passed away and I came across the book, What's Heaven by Maria Shriver. It even made me feel better. It really explained things well for my 7 year old and even my 3 year old got something out of it. It is a book that explains what heaven is for many different types of people and for pets too. (It is based more towards christianity.) Hope you find it useful.

• Members

My son was 6 and my daughter 10 the year my younger brother.  My mom (who subsequently died nine months later) gave each of my brothers and I a book to read with our kids.  It's called "Someone I Love Died."  It's written with young children in mind.  You might want to check it out.

Here is the link where you can find it:  http://resources.family.org/product/life+challenges/emotions/grief+-+loss/bp856+someone+i+love+died.do

DianeS

Archived