Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Girlfirend missed her fathers death due to our holiday

Ad84

• Members

Hello, yesterday whilst on holiday I got a phone call to my cell from the Police. They asked to speak to my girlfriend and told her that her father had just passed away. She took it really bad, we flew home last night and I left her off with her mother and older brothers, she asked me to go home as she wanted to be alone with them. She lived and took care of her mother and father, he was in his 70s and the death came out of nowhere. I care so much about her, she was very close to him and completely broke down. She had bought him a small present which she cried he would never see, he would never see her get married or her children. It is breaking my heart that because of me asking her to go on holiday she missed her fathers death. She was not there for him and she never got to say a final good bye or try to help him. He died in his sleep. I know I have to be strong for her and give the support that she needs but inside I am being torn apart by guilt and I cannot get the images of her suffering out of my head. I am posting this here as I cannot speak to anyone about it at this time. Can anyone tell me how I can help her, console her? I am a Christian man however she is atheist so I cannot even help her with my understanding of death and the after life.

• Members

Because everyone deals with grief differently, I can only suggest you remain sympathetic and supportive and just let her grieve as long as she needs to.

• Members

I agree, be there for her when she's ready to talk, and let her know you care. be patient , too..sometimes in our grief..we simply don't have the energy let to reach out.

• Members

Thank you for your replies. I was with her today she had ups and downs, she's sobbing a lot that she misses her daddy and appears to zone out, which breaks my heart knowing I cant make her smile or laugh like I usually can. I am doing my best to support her.

Archived