Online Grief Support, Help for Coping with Loss | Beyond Indigo Forums
  • Announcements

• ModKonnie

Advertisements   09/05/2017

Hi all,  I'm sure you've noticed some changes in the forums. We've again had to do some updates, so that's why things may look a little different. Nothing major should have changed.  Also, we are going to start adding advertisements sensitive to our community on the boards. This is something we are experimenting with, and we will certainly make sure they are in the best interests of everyone. We want to make sure our forums continue to stay accessible and cost free to all of our members, and this is a way to ensure this.  If you have any questions or comments, please feel free to privately message me or email me at Konnie@beyondindigo.com.  As always, we will be here with you, ModKonnie
Angie101

War

Beyond Indigo Is Looking for Message Board Monitors

Interested in volunteering a few hours each week to monitor a message board and interact daily with the Beyond Indigo community? We're looking for monitors to share their experience, strength and hope. If you are interested, contact Julie at julie@beyondindigo.com for more information.

Hi all –

I’m sure you’ve noticed that the message boards seem a little different. We’ve streamlined the message boards. We’ve unified the forum and thread names and tried to make things less confusing. I hope that it has made things easier for you.

We are considering adding new threads to the topics and would love to hear what you would like to be added. You can write me at julie@beyondindigo.com to share your thoughts and suggestions. I would love to hear from you.

I am also still looking for message board monitors. If you are interested, please let me know!

Take care,

Julie

I have a cousin in Iraq, but he's like my brother. He's called me Monkey as long as I can remember. He's been in the Army for six years, and he was going to be discharged, so he went into the national guard. but then his unit got called up and sent to Iraq. That's where he was when our great-uncle died--I wrote about that on the teen forum. About a week after our uncle died, TJ--that's my cousin's name--girfriend, Jessica Housby, died. I think he had a ring.

Thanks. You know, every time the news says, "And another American soldier was lost in Iraq" I just get so scared. everyone else feels that way, right?

Write365, yes I hate war, and I get so nervous about the news. I have several from my family over there, and it's even more now that my son wants to go in as a chaplain (they don't carry a gun). My brother in law made it home but his buddie didn't. I was never one to support was, because I see life as a treasure and the lives of others a gift, not to destroy. Keep us posted on how you're doing, please. Feel free to come back and visit here anytime.

I think this whole thing with the backdoor draft is absolutely deplorable. TJ had already been over, and six months after entering the Guard he got sent back. He's already been to Korea, Kosovo, Afganistan, Iraq and kuwait. Don't they realize what these guys are going through?

Ashley

Ashley, I totally agree with you. Our troops are being stretched to their absolute limits.This "stop loss" policy is causing enlisted people to stay way beyond their tours of duty, national guard members to have to leave their homes, families and jobs, and reservists in their 50's to be called back into active duty. It would be more acceptable if our country had been under attack, but we were not (at least not by Iraq). I feel totally misled and betrayed by our administration and my belief is that this is and always was about getting control of the region's oil. If the plan is to get out as soon as Iraqi's are able to handle security of their country, then why are we in the process of building 14 permanent bases there? I think we are in this for the long haul and I just pray that there are not plans in the works to expand this war into surrounding countries.The loss of life, both US and Iraqi is sad and appalling.

I have a son who is only a year away from registration age and the thought of the draft being reinstated is enough to keep a mom lying awake at night. I cannot stand the thought of his or anyone else's precious child's blood being spilled so that folks can continue to have $2/gal gasoline to put in their SUV's. The only ones benefitting from this war so far as I can tell are Halliburton exeecutives. Is anyone else outraged over this?! Joy

Right on! There is no reason we should be in Iraq. Don't get me wrong, it's good that' Saddam is out, but we shouldn't still be there. And in this day and age, if there is a draft, girls are going to be enlisted. my mother, cousin, and tons of people i love could possibly be drafted. it's horrible. And people say FDR was horrible? (don't get my started on that tangent, I idolize him) He had a REASON to get us in the war. But Anglos and Muslims have bee fighting for a thousand years. In a society where we can go to the moon, fly faster than sound, and cure diseases, why can't we stop a war that's been going on since the Crusades? Surely we're better than that?

Ashley

Hey! you know the song. What is it good for? Absolutely nothing! It isn't worth their lives for the oil. Ashley, I had no use for the Nam war, and I wont say more. I would rather see a car powered by alternative fuels. But that goes against the oil companies. Ashley, while I was in HS, I saw my friend drafted six months before he graduated, and two weeks before grad nite, he came home the wrong way. It still bugs me.

Joy, please try to give yourself one thing. Try to think of happier things before you go to bed at nite. It will help you rest better, and also try to do things to make yourself feel good about yourself. You know, the little things to make you feel good. I have to tell my daughter that so much, and it's due to tthe pain from her illness.

Take care and keep posting. Good nite now.

It reminds me of that song: "One, two, three four, what the hell are we fightin' for, don't ask me cuz I don't give a damn, next stop in Vietnam." That's what it's turned into. We've lost sight of what we're fighting for. Somebody needs to remind Bush that these aren't nameless, faceless, pawns in a political game--these are our children, our friends, our loved ones, and they're dying, and if they don't die they're wounded. Albeit not all are wounded physically, but none of them come back undamaged.

ashley

Ashley, thanks for that thought. It puts the whole thing in perspective. And that song brought back a few memories: my sister took me to Woodstock and I remember it being played. It was a tongue in cheek smack in the face og FDR and all those who wanted to escalate a war that never needed to be. After having a class on it in college, under a prof who was there, we learned a whole different take on the situation. And to think the info that put us in Iraq may have errors. I better not start into that one. I'm so happy that one of my fam has come home in reasonbly good condition. Talk later, Mark

I was in high school when the VietNam war ended, and sorry to say I wasn't really informed about the political aspects at that time. Looking back now, I can see similarities between the two. The BIG difference I see this time around is the attitude of the people. Americans (especially youth) were extremely vocal in opposing the VietNam war, hence all the protest songs. These days, taking that stand means people will probably call you unpatriotic and accuse you of "not supporting our troops". To me supporting our troops means demanding that our government bring them home ASAP, not just putting a yellow ribbon on your car bumper. And patriotism means speaking out when you think your country is headed in the wrong direction! I can't fathom that with all the brilliant minds there are in this world in this 21st century, that we still resort to senseless killing to resolve our conflicts.How barbaric!

Ashley: Glad to hear one of our young people forming her own opinion.

Mark: Happy for you that your family member is home safe. Don't worry, I exaggerated about the sleepless nights part, but I won't say I'm not extremely concerned for my son. Let's all continue to pray for peace! Joy

You know, in the entire history of world governments, we have only had 50 years of total peace, under a Chinese emperer some two thousand years ago? If we can put a man on the moon, why can't we stop killing each other?

For a real eye opener go to: www.costofwar.com. It shows in real time the amount of US dollars being spent on the Iraq war (almost $170 BILLION when I last checked).Most of us can not even conceive of a sum of money this large!At the above mentioned site you can also look at comparisons of what that money COULD have paid for. For example: it could have fully funded global anti-hunger efforts for 6 YEARS! Not to mention how many schools could have been built, kids provided with healthcare, AIDS research etc, etc. etc! How terribly sad. Joy

Another thing: If the US is the only country going in, doesn't that say something? If it's mainly OUR people dying, then why does our president think that we can win this war singlehandidly? But if it's a war...who are we fighting?

Ashley

The Army's enrollment has been decreasing, and the government is thinking about passing a bill to make it so that they can keep soldiers in the Army longer. It's bull****! My cousin is supposed to get out in October!!!

Many vets coming back will have to deal with the reality of PTSD and suffer quietly or react violently sometimes they chose to just check out, but that is no answer. The deadly horrors of war are a haunting plague that denial even as powerful as it is cannot veil. The are a few healing techniques available that would be of great help to anyone suffering deep emotion scars regardless of whether they are recent or from years gone by. They have to do with using the breath with the guidance of a breath practitioner to go into the emotional pain that has been locked up inside for so long. It is as challenging as going to any war, and I would salute anyone who would make the necessary effort and expense to get thie kind of help.

http://www.innerlinktraining.com/artAncientWisdom1.html

I am a vietnam wife who just lost her husband to agent orange and also to the neglance of the Va hospital they let him die and now due to new laws there is nothing that I can do because there's not enough money in it for lawyers to mess with it It hurt me once and now I am really hurt more because no one wants to read what all the Va hospital did to him in just a few short days..

I knew that he could get cancer from the agent orange but he was a health man with a good out look on life and it was take in just four days in the hospital.

I am hopeful that I can get someone to read it medical reports and not the autopsy that was done by the hospital because this is in their favor..

Thanks for just haveing a web page like this to let me let off steam

nannatrent

Guest Guest

pray for peace . if you aren't praying daily for peace,you aren't really doing anything about war.my husband was killed in operation enduring freedom.SSG.Gregory Frampton.Prayer can move mountians.sign me a greiving war widow praying for peace.

Guest Guest

i am so sorry for your loss my husbands father died from agent orange related cancer,when my husband was 5 yrs old.my husband was killed in afghanistan in a blackhawk crash.i pray a lot for my mother in law who gave so much and she also got nothing.had to raise 4 children ,no help from the va.this government cheats and steals from its widows.it's just shameful.my heart goes out to you.God will bless you... .from another widow of war.julie

I am a vietnam wife who just lost her husband to agent orange and also to the neglance of the Va hospital they let him die and now due to new laws there is nothing that I can do because there's not enough money in it for lawyers to mess with it It hurt me once and now I am really hurt more because no one wants to read what all the Va hospital did to him in just a few short days..

I knew that he could get cancer from the agent orange but he was a health man with a good out look on life and it was take in just four days in the hospital.

I am hopeful that I can get someone to read it medical reports and not the autopsy that was done by the hospital because this is in their favor..

Thanks for just haveing a web page like this to let me let off steam

nannatrent

Dear Julie,

***hugs*** I so often wish I could deliver those in person when reading these boards. I responded to another post of yours, but when I read this one, I wanted to respond again. It's unthinkable that you are now facing what you are to have your medical needs met.

I want you to know that there *are* some grateful people in this nation. Whatever the politics of this war we've found ourselves in, the men and women who are fighting it are true heroes. You can be very, very proud of your husband for his bravery and for the soldier he was. The freedom we Americans enjoy today was bought and paid for by the blood of soldiers like your husband. I appreciate all the efforts he and his fellow soldiers put into the fight.

I wish for you better days ahead, and hopefully the passage of time will lead to some peace for you. You deserve it.

DeeAnn