Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

ericafara

• Members

I will never forget the first time I heard Lily sing. She was around 18 months old and sitting in her car seat behind me as we drove home. Josh Grobin’s “You raise me up”, came on the radio and it was so inspiring that Lily felt compelled to sing along with the golden voice of an angel. I remember having a little tear in my eye at the time. I was so proud and honoured to have such a treasure to call my own daughter; a soul so pure and beautiful.

Three weeks after Lily died, we visited my brother and were at his girlfriend’s family home when the same Josh Grobin song came on the radio. I had been being as cheery as possible with all these lovely people I was spending time with and concentrating on feeling Lily in spirit alongside me. But this song came on and I simply could not contain my emotion. I cried, I balled, I wailed, right in front of a room full of people which quickly became silent except for my hysterical crying. There was no consoling me. The looks of shock and helplessness on these friends faces is permanently etched in my mind. They simply had no idea of the sheer desperation and utter emptiness I felt without my precious Lily with me. At that point I realised, yes I am spiritual but I am also human and the human heart is a deep and vast place. If you feel like wailing do it. Don’t try to hide from the tears, they are cleansing and can wash away the sadness leaving you refreshed and able to take a few more steps forward towards healing.

So I’d like to say “Here’s to you my lovely Lily. You raise me up every day, in my attempts to feel you with me as I know you are. You raise me up in the stories I share in my desire to ease other’s grief in honour of you. You raise me up in my determination to make something meaningful from my loss. And my darling Lily you raise me up in my expectation of seeing you again when I am finished with this beautiful life.”

"You Raise Me Up" by Josh Grobin

When I am down and, oh my soul, so weary;

When troubles come and my heart burdened be;

Then, I am still and wait here in the silence,

Until you come and sit awhile with me.

You raise me up, so I can stand on mountains;

You raise me up, to walk on stormy seas;

I am strong, when I am on your shoulders;

You raise me up... To more than I can be.

There is no life - no life without its hunger;

Each restless heart beats so imperfectly;

But when you come and I am filled with wonder,

Sometimes, I think I glimpse eternity.

• Members
Jesse David & Taylor Mom

ericafara,

That is a really beautiful song...thanks for sharing....

Archived