Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Sister in laws :0(

needy

• Members

One of my sister in laws works were I do and I ran into her. She apologized for not calling or having us over. She said she is worried about me etc etc. I am at the point that I am ok, not having family members hold my hand. After work I went home and was met by this guy. My other sister in law is suing my husband's estate as well as a bunch of other family members. Two of my husband's aunts passed away within 34 days of each other and now their families also have to deal with this. I find this on a new level of disgust.

• Members

I am really sorry..It amazes me how people can be so low in their life they have to hurt others in that way! I dealt with those issues also and I decided I would be the bigger person and walk away quiet. Sometimes I regret that but I will not go down to their level. Hugs my friend!

• Moderators

AK that is good advice generally like with people simply acting badly/etc, but a legal battle is something else - needy I'm sorry about this too, if you ignore them, they may rake you (via your husband's estate) over the coals - don't these sub-human things get away with tha!. At the very least, take whatever specifics you were given and consult with a lawyer to see if they even have a leg to stand on (I'm no lawyer but it doesn't make sense that they could go after your husband's estate based on your aunts' deaths-?). If you don't know a good one, ask around. Bottom line, yes it is beyond disgusting, but I feel strongly you should stand up and fight for yourself and your husband's estate if you must!

• Members

WHAT????? How they heck can a sister-in-law sue YOUR husband's estate??? That is insane!!! What in the hell is she thinking?? Did your husband have a will? This blows me away!! How can she even think that she is entitled to any of any of the departeds things?? Those types make me sick. Always wanting something for nothing. Karma baby...karma!!!

• Members

So sorry. As if you didn't have enough to deal with already. I work in the legal field and deal with lawsuits every day, but it still amazes me how some people think that filing suit is the answer to everything. The whole "the world owes me" attitude. I can't stand it. I agree that you need to make sure that you are not taken advantage of. You don't necessarily have to go on the offensive, but put up a defense to protect you and your children's assets.

Sometimes your own family can cause you more trouble than anyone else. So sad....

• Members

The saying 'you can pick your friends but not your family' springs to mind. I can't get my head around why people get so greedy at times like this. And why your sister-in-law thinks she has any claim on your husband's estate, I have no idea. However, I also feel that you have to make sure that you safeguard what is rightfully yours. It's the last thing that you need just now, but I feel that you have no choice. Good luck honey.

• Members

oh hon, that really sucks :( People can really plumb the depths cant they

I have to agree with whats been said tho, you need to get legal advice. Just so you can be prepared and ensure that your interests are protected. Big (((hugs)))

• Members

Finally read the law suit, not that I totally understand it. The lawsuit is against a family corp. My sister in law has done two previous law suits one against her grandmother's estate (she wasn't even born yet) and against the family corporation. The family corporation is run by the last living aunt, and the lady is nuts. My husband didn't have a will, so not sure if this is going to stop my share in the family corporation (not that I care). Guess I will consult my lawyer, who by the was is having his own legal battle with the crazy aunt. This is totally insane!!

• Moderators

Good luck! As far as your share of the corporation, sounds like a diff story than going after your/your husband's overall estate, fortunately. State laws will make a big diff here, but if he didn't have a will, most states default most if not all of his estate to the spouse (you) unless otherwise stated somewhere (like if he had a 401K and named someone else as beneficiary). As for the various nut farms in the family, perhaps you could threaten counter-suit on some basis or other (I have to wonder what her justification is for the lawsuit?). Frankly it's been my experience that assholes never respond well to kindness or taking the high road; the more you give, the more they'll greedily take. Getting "in their face" ie putting them in their place, or at least matching them stride for stride is FAR more effective. Anyway, yeah definitely consult with at LEAST one lawyer (for something this important I always get at least two or three opinions, whether it's legal, medical, etc).

• Members

Sent everything to the lawyer to get his opinion. His only comment to me over the phone is my husband's family is nuts.

Archived