Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Too soon to start new projects

OldGeek

• Members

It's been six weeks since Andy passed. I only broke down 3 times this morning. I did better yesterday though I don't know what the difference was.

I thought I would do some glass work today. Andy and I both worked on stained glass and fused glass projects. My first ever sun catcher was, in spite of it's flaws, was always his favorite and he had it hanging just outside the back door.

humr01.jpg

I have a much more ambitious project and I had discussed it with him before he passed and thought I'd try to get some work done on it. But it seems I'm still too distracted. There's nothing like a second degree burn to get you to pay attention. I'll just have to try again next weekend.

• Guests

I know about concentration, I've had the same problem. I've doodled in my sketch book, but nothing worth writing home about. Lol. Of course drawing isn't quite as dangerous as working a gather of molten glass. Although Dale Chihully is cool, you probably would like to keep both of your eyes where they are.

Angie was a tattooist, I have a lot of her work on me. I get to see it everyday, a double edged sword though. It is a constant reminder of our time together.

As always may peace find us all.

With high regard,

Ern

• Members

it takes a while to get back that concentration. Dont rush yourself. particularly not with hot glass ;). I know that i couldnt do anything for at least the first 8 weeks, not even simple mundane tasks, never mind anything creative....then i started working on little bits of stuff...small things that i could finish fairly easily. It has to be said that the concentration still isnt there a lot of the time, but i manage a little better now and i didnt think id be saying that then. Your suncatcher is beautiful btw, KL. Just take your time.

• Moderators

Very pretty KL. Projects are a great idea though. Keeps you occupied, doing something constructive etc. But yeah I would just take it at whatever pace you can handle.......

• Members

I have found that I am still too distracted as well. Since Mike died (almost 4 months ago), I have done two pastel paintings, and before he died, I could turn out 2 or 3 a week easily. The concentration and inspiration just isn't there yet, but I believe that eventually, it will be. I find myself thinking about it and toying with ideas frequently, but when I sit down at the easel, the spirit just isn't there yet.

• Members

I was fortunate enough to be able to take a month off, the 2 weeks from the time Linda went down to when she died, and another 2 weeks after. When I went back to work my concentration was lousy, I just had to take my time and recheck everything, sometimes asking a coworker to check something important (they were all great about this). My concentration and performance gradually improved and I guess it was probably another 2 months before I felt like my performance was normal. I still sometimes drift away during the day, but I can at least pull the threads back together now instead of that terrible lost feeling of not knowing what I was even doing before the lapse. I hate the words, "It just takes time", but in something like this that was my experience.

Archived