Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

healthy?

Austykatie

• Members

Ive always loved music. I was into prog rock in primary school and i could never figure out why others didnt share my passion for Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Yes or ELP lol. Anyway, music wasalso one of the things that Alex and i had in common, and in spite of his age, he was also a fan of many of the bands i loved. Unfortunately, when Alex started having health problems music, for me, went on the backburner. I didnt have the time, or the energy, or money to indulge

Anyway, just the lastweek or so ive started loking out music...trawling thru youtube till the early hours watching video clips. Ive started with ELP and impressed myself with how i can remenber words to tracks i havent heard in years.....just a teeny digression here but, whoa, what happened to Greg Lake?....he went from a man i could only describe as "beautiful" to ouch!...aging sux!.....Anyway back on track, my issue is......im hiding, and i know i am....hiding from the grief, and from the lonliness. Ive always been able to hide from the world in music. Just let my mind free and make up stories to go with the songs......but i dont know if its a good idea to hide. I know from prior experience i can tend to just hide from everything.......i just dont know.

• Guests

I think that a certain amount of hiding is OK. Listening to music is a way to relax and get away from the pain for awhile. A week or so after my wife passed, I took a vacation via Google maps street view in Florence, Italy. I didn't think of it as hiding, more like not constantly thinking about my own pain.

And as long as we're talking about prof rock, I also got back into that but I started listening to Rush again. I recommend the song Marathon and their latest album Clockwork Angels.

Try to be kind to yourself.

May peace find us all,

Ern

• Members
MissingDaniel

Personally, I say "hide away." I know I'm doing it. I think that we all deal with things as we are ready to. There are some things that I know I'm not ready to deal with yet, so I find other things to occupy me so I don't worry about them right now. I've done something similar to this several times. You are losing yourself for a short time in something you enjoy - and that's makes you feel better in that moment. I actually watched a rockumentary about Pink Floyd recently, and found myself going back and digging through YouTube videos to find things I had never heard, and really enjoyed it. Do what you need to do for you. For now. Blessings to you....

• Members

In times of emotional stress (and this type of stress is about as emotional as it can get) I have always turned to music as a way to help me deal with it. I usually tend to rely on classical music, because I believe it's the most "healing" for me, but I also the love the old classic rock, which is what I grew up on. I don't view it as a form of escapism, but as a way to integrate the past with the present, and help me form a whole picture of where I am right now.

• Members
MissingDaniel

Wow, a while back, someone mentioned "Watch Over You" by Alterbridge as a song that they really enjoyed. I had never heard it, and just had the urge to look it up today. It is gorgeous! Of course, it made me cry, but wow, both the melody and the lyrics are amazing. Thanks to whoever mentioned it. Alterbridge is actually a hometown group, and we have their only 2013 show in the US here in town - you'd think I would have paid more attention.

• Members

I think a certain amount of hiding is OK, of lot of us feel that way, the danger being if that slides into depression. Usually a clinically depressed person doesn't know they are, hopefully we have a close friend, one we will listen to, tell us and drag us to get help if needed. I find that I avoid many social situations, partly because I feel like a 5th wheel around couples, but even more so because I just do not want the sympathy questions/comments. I have to stay very busy when I am at home, otherwise I get too sad.

• Members

Wow, a while back, someone mentioned "Watch Over You" by Alterbridge as a song that they really enjoyed. I had never heard it, and just had the urge to look it up today. It is gorgeous! Of course, it made me cry, but wow, both the melody and the lyrics are amazing. Thanks to whoever mentioned it. Alterbridge is actually a hometown group, and we have their only 2013 show in the US here in town - you'd think I would have paid more attention.

I believe that was me! I love that song! Jim's band used to play that song and it gave me goosebumps everytime I heard it before his accident, now I just cant hold myself together when I listen to it! Music is my "drug" sometimes...

• Members
MissingDaniel

Yes, AK, it used to be for me to. Because I have a great love for music, it really impacts me. I used to say that I thought life should have a soundtrack - but I shudder to think what mine would be now. Some sad, mournful funeral dirge... Or maybe not. But yes, that song really tugged at me. Listened to it at work, and it made me a weepy mess. And it is meaningful to me in several ways since it was written about the struggle to save an addict that isn't willing to try to save their self. I felt that way with Daniel for so many years, but I really thought I'd won the battle - or that WE had won that battle - I guess I was wrong....hugs to you AK.

• Members
MissingDaniel

Yes, AK, it used to be for me to. Because I have a great love for music, it really impacts me. I used to say that I thought life should have a soundtrack - but I shudder to think what mine would be now. Some sad, mournful funeral dirge... Or maybe not. But yes, that song really tugged at me. Listened to it at work, and it made me a weepy mess. And it is meaningful to me in several ways since it was written about the struggle to save an addict that isn't willing to try to save their self. I felt that way with Daniel for so many years, but I really thought I'd won the battle - or that WE had won that battle - I guess I was wrong....hugs to you AK.

• Members

hugs back to you! I hope you can find some peace with music and other songs! I tend to listen to music any change I get! The great thing about music is one song can mean so many different things to so many different people! Its all in the way we hear it!

Archived