Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

loss of a sister

phantoms shell

• Members
phantoms shell

How do you cope when it feels like part of you is just gone. Family isn't answering calls just to talk.

• Members

I'm very sorry for your loss. In my experience, you cope by taking it one day - or in some cases, one moment - at a time. You reach out for support instead of keeping all your emotions inside. If your family won't answer the phone, you might try to find a trusted friend who will just listen without trying to "fix" you or take your pain away - they can't. If your family isn't answering the phone, take heart that they just aren't able to at this moment, and has nothing to do with you. I recently wrote on my blog about my experience with isolating myself from the world after losing my daughter, and in case you want to read it, you can find it at http://wp.me/p2imOE-ds.

Eventually, that emptiness you feel will lessen over time. I cannot tell you that the longing for your sister will ever go away (I don't think it will), but hopefully over time you can let yourself focus more on the good memories and joy your sister brought you than the pain her absence brings. I wish you peace.

Maria

• Moderators

I'm very sorry for your loss, and that your family doesn't seem to be responsive. Maria made some excellent points. Also I suggest considering grief counseling, either with a group or 1 on 1. Contact your local church or hospitals or local government (nearest city would be best if you're not too far from one) for information on those, or just do an internet search for your area....best to you

Archived