Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Double Whammy

brucealmighty

• Members
brucealmighty

Long story short:

My 70-year-old father was diagnosed with stage four, small cell lung cancer in May. My boyfriend died in a car accident one week later. My father is currently in home hospice with "hours, to days, to weeks" to live.

I like to think I'm doing my best. I'm helping my mother as much as I can, still trying to go to work... still grieving over my boyfriend. I am 24 and didn't think I'd have to deal with losing my parents for years and years, and certainly never expected my boyfriend to die suddenly. (I also post in "loss of a partner.)

Has anyone ever experienced the sudden death of a man you were supposed to spend the rest of your life with, and also watching the man who raised you your entire life die in such a slow and painful way?

• Members

Brucealmighty, I am so very sorry about the loss of your boyfriend and your father's situation. There are many people here who have lost their loved ones suddenly and watched others wane. Look through the forums, particularly Loss of a Partner and Loss of a Parent, and you will find others who share similar experiences. You get through all of this by taking it an hour at a time, or a few hours or even a day. Try to talk to people and take care of yourself, including get enough sleep, get some exercise (if nothing else but a quiet walk), eat as healthy as you can and avoid alcohol (it only makes things far worse down the road). We will be here for you. ModKonnie

• Members
brucealmighty

Thank you for your reply. I will certainly look into the forums you mentioned. I'm glad you brought up the alcohol- that is a weakness and go-to for me. Not anything crazy, but something I know I should probably take it easier on. I think exercising again might help... and overall taking better care of myself. I hate being one of those people who knows exactly what I am doing wrong and how I could help, but refuse to push myself to do so. Ignorance really is bliss I suppose. Thanks again for your reply, I appreciate it.

• Members
brucealmighty

My father passed away... shortly after I posted this. Proud to be his daughter, and happy to share who he was if anyone is interested in oldies music...

Heartbroken.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Terry-Lee-Music-For-Young-Lovers/148639975190475

• Moderators

I am so sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers to you and yours.

• Members
brucealmighty

:-(

Thank you.

• Members

Wow, so much for you to deal with and even months later, I'm sure that you are still trying to cope. My thoughts are with you and I hope you find some peace. <3

Dawn

Archived