Forum Conduct & Guidelines Document ×

Guilt

jeninma

• Members

I just lost my Dad to ALS. He was 86 and was not diagnosed until far too late. I am guilty for not spending enough time with him when he was alive, for not taking his symptoms as seriously, for not insisting that I do things for him, for not persuading him to eat better...basically for everything. I feel awful also because we argued two days before he died. I was able to tell him that I love him during the weeks before he died and I am thankful for that but I cannot release the feelings of guilt and the feelings that I should have done more.

• Members
Lostwithoutmum

So sorry for your loss...

I know it is not easy to shake this feeling of guilt, I am still struggling with what if's 4 months and a half after losing mum, who means the world to me..

I do feel however that our parents know how much we love them, even when we don't have the chance to express it as perfectly as they deserve .

x

• Members

That is a normal feeling. I feel guilty too but you must not make yourself feel bad. Your dad is still with you and always will be. They have found peace on a level we cannot experience. It's tough but you had your dad for a long time and concentrate on the memories you have with him. I lost my dad and he was in his fifties and it was sudden. They don't know yet why he died we will find out but I was guilty thinking I could have done something and that will eat you up inside if you let it. Keep well and remember that he is not gone, he is around looking after you.

Archived